Monday, April 29, 2013

Confetti Quinoa

This past weekend was one of those weekends that just did not last long enough.  Maybe it's because I ended up having to work yesterday.  Maybe it's because the weather is so nice out today, it's kind of a crime to be inside an office with no windows.

Now, I'm not normally the type of person to dread Mondays this much.  I pretty much never feel the need to update facebook on my feelings about not wanting to go back to work.  But for some reason today is different.

I should note that I have it really easy.  I have a nice job with a nice boss and I get to go home at 1:30 to work on my blog, or go to one of my other 3 jobs.  (Probably why I don't complain too much about the work week.)  And then I talk to my sister who is regularly working 12-14 hour days and putting in extra time on the weekends.  So, I'm reminded just how easy I have it.
But somehow, even though my sister is working all the time, she still finds time to get into the kitchen and make up some of the best concoctions I've ever eaten!  Confetti Quinoa is the perfect busy weeknight meal because you don't have to go to the grocery store - just use whatever you have in your fridge, and you can make it ahead of time and just pop it in the oven a few minutes before you're ready to eat and it's done.  I guess maybe this is how she does it?

CONFETTI QUINOA
Recipe from Melissa Flinn
2 c. chicken broth (or vegetable if you want to make this vegetarian)
1 c. quinoa
1 Tbsp. butter
2-3 Tbsp. olive oil
2 cloves garlic
1/2 onion, chopped
1-2 Tbsp. crushed red pepper
salt & pepper
fresh or frozen veggies (anything you have will work)*
*(I used carrots, asparagus, squash, and red pepper)
1/2 c. grated parmesan + more for topping

1.  In a medium saucepan combine chicken broth and quinoa.  Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes.

2.  Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt butter with olive oil.  Sauté onion until translucent.  Add garlic, sauté 2-3 minutes.  Add salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper.  Add vegetables, sautéing until crisp-tender.

3.  Add quinoa and parmesan cheese to vegetables.  Stir to combine.

4.  Pour everything into a greased 1.5 quart casserole dish.  Top with a little more parmesan cheese.  Bake at 350˚ for 15-20 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. Looks pretty tasty! Thanks for sharing my recipe! p.s. I find time to cook because it relieves the stress of those long days....and I really like to eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, thank YOU for sharing your recipe. I understand the destressing thing - I spent the afternoon making bread and I haven't felt so relaxed in a long time!

      Delete

Blogging tips