Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Choconana Cupcakes

When I was little, I never did any of the classic pranks that other kids were getting in trouble for.  I never went TP'ing.  I never "forked" someone's yard.  I never even prank called innocent listings in the phone book.  I generally didn't like to get in trouble which meant I only did things I knew I could get away with ;)

So, I remember when May Day came around each year and you were instructed to doorbell ditch and leave flowers on your unsuspecting neighbor's stoop, I was more excited than I probably should have been.

Do kids still do that?  I think maybe it's a Midwestern thing? - Austin's never heard of it.
If this is a tradition that's been lost, we should bring it back.  How excited would you be if you were surprised with flowers (even flowers made of tissue paper) on your doorstep?  In fact, why don't we start leaving more nice treats at our neighbors' door?  That'd be nice.  
It's up to you.  You can make these cupcakes and eat them all OR you can spread the love.

CHOCONANA CUPCAKES
Recipe from Cupcake Heaven
1 c. butter, softened
1 c. sugar
2 c. flour
3 tsp. baking powder
5 eggs
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 c. (2 large) ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 c. semisweet chocolate chips

For the frosting:
1 c. cream cheese
1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. vanilla
1/8 tsp. salt

1.  Combine butter, sugar, flour, baking powder, eggs, and nutmeg until smooth.  Stir in the mashed bananas and chocolate chips.

2.  Line 18 muffin cups with paper liners.  Fill with batter.  

3.  Bake at 350˚ for 18-20 minutes.  Cool in pan for 5 minutes then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.

4.  Prepare the frosting: beat cream cheese until soft.  Add in powdered sugar, lemon juice, vanilla, and salt.  Taste test.

5.  Frost cupcakes when completely cool.  Share with friends!

2 comments:

  1. My sister and I took flower to the neighbors when we were young. We grew up in Iowa...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmm...so maybe it is just a Midwestern thing? Either way, I'm glad at least 2 other people enjoyed the tradition!

      Delete

Blogging tips