Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Rosemary Loaf Cake

Somedays you go into the kitchen with your best intentions.  You have an idea and a recipe.  You have the ingredients necessary.  Despite all of your efforts and good planning, something isn't right.  
Yesterday, after a trip to the grocery store, I spent about 4 hours trying to make macarons with the aim to pack them up and send them to my mom for Mother's Day.  Instead, I spent 4 hours and got little, thin wafers that, quite honestly, didn't even taste that great.  They ended up in the trash and now I'll have to send a lame card or order flowers or something.  

Sure, cookies that don't turn out perfectly is not that big of a deal in the scheme of things, but it did have the ability to ruin my day.  Because I didn't get those treats in the mail by this morning, my mom isn't getting anything special this Sunday, and what I would really like to do is have a meal with her.  My sister could probably make dinner, I could make dessert.  My other sister could take a nap on the couch ;)
So do me a favor, if you are lucky enough to spend this Sunday at the same table as your mom, make her something delicious.  Appreciate it.  I recommend this Rosemary Loaf Cake.  

Sorry about the macarons, Mom...maybe this cake will be arriving at your house soon!

ROSEMARY LOAF CAKE
Recipe from Nigella Lawson
1 c. + 2 Tbsp. butter, softened
3/4 c. sugar
3 eggs
1 1/3 c. self-rising cake flour
1/2 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp. vanilla
needles from a 4 inch stalk of rosemary, chopped (pretty small, not tiny)
4 Tbsp. milk
1-2 Tbsp. sugar

1.  Butter and line a loaf pan with parchment paper.

2.  Cream the butter.  Add sugar.  Mix in eggs, one at a time.

3.  Slowly mix in the 2 types of flour.  Add vanilla and rosemary.  Mix in milk to thin out the batter (should be about the consistency of any other cake/cupcake batter).  Pour into prepared pan.  Sprinkle the top with sugar.

4.  Bake at 350˚ for 1 hour (knife test).  Cool on wire rack in its pan until it is completely cooled.  Wrap it tightly in foil until ready to serve.

6 comments:

  1. This is my all time favorite line on your entire blog. I litrally LoLed and nearly choked on my water. "My sister could probably make dinner, I could make dessert. My other sister could take a nap on the couch"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are only a few people in this world that understand the truth in that statement, so I'm glad it wasn't lost on you!

      p.s. Glad you didn't die from asphyxiation.

      Delete
  2. So, I am forewarned there will be no macaroons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, sorry. :) I'll make it up to you when I see you next!

      Delete
  3. no macaroons from me either, i'll be sleeping!...maybe on your couch as a special treat:)

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips