Friday, April 5, 2013

Banana Cashew Smoothie

Yesterday, I got some new pumped up kicks and instantaneously I felt inspired to be healthy.  Then I quelled that feeling by eating a Snickers Egg (thank you 1/2 off Easter candy).  Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Anyway, I guess I didn't completely squash the feeling, because last night I was inspired to take the Dingo out for a run.  It was probably about 5 minutes in that I got a killer side cramp.  That didn't stop me though!  I woke up at 5:30 this morning and gave it another go.  Again, side cramp!
Even though I really want to use my new fancy shoes, I also think my body/lungs are giving me some pretty straightforward signs here.  Maybe it would be best to just start filling up mason jars with smoothies and walking around, pretending like I'm healthy.

When I was in middle school, I remember making banana "smoothies."  More accurately, I should have called them banana milkshakes, if we're being real.  I used one banana and about a pint of ice cream.  Blended it together and felt good about myself for the rest of the day.
Now that I'm an grown woman (ha!), I make my smoothies with cashews that have soaked overnight, bananas, and maple syrup (I still want it to taste like the milkshake!).  These are good, and they're extra good because you can feel good about drinking them.


BANANA CASHEW SMOOTHIE
Recipe from Real Simple
1/2 c. raw, unsalted cashews
1 c. water
1 banana
2 c. ice
2 Tbsp. maple syrup

1.  Soak cashews in water overnight (in blender works well), covered.

2.  Add banana, ice and maple syrup to the cashews (undrained).  Blend until combined.

4 comments:

  1. Running is exactly the type of activity I want to like. I want to be that girl who gets up at 6am for a casual jog and winds up running for miles without even noticing. But I'm the red faced, notices every single step and wants to die simultaneously, type and I just need to accept that. But I dance and that's good enough for me! Plus I get my own style of pumped up kicks in the form of ballet slippers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am by no means the first type of person you described either...obviously! And you've got a leg up on me with your dancing too! Maybe someday, we'll be the ones that get up bright-eyed and bushy-tailed ready to run for miles and miles! Here's to hoping!

      xoxo
      Sarah

      Delete
  2. Wow these sound so good, thanks for posting this up.

    Simon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Simon! It is so tasty! In fact, I'm going to have to revisit this smoothie now that you reminded me :)

      Delete

Blogging tips