Monday, October 1, 2012

Frosted Pumpkin Bars

On Friday, I got an email from my Honda dealer in Maryland with the subject line: "Happy Anniversary!"  A year ago, Austin and I were having a hard time and everything was going wrong.  Austin's car was on it's last legs, we were living in a city that we didn't like and there was a serious lack of outdoors.
We decided to buy Sheldon, our little, black Honda Fit just in time to take a 10-hour road trip to Kentucky to go climbing and camping.  Exactly one year later, we were doing the same thing.  This time, driving to Moab, Utah for climbing, camping, and this time we added mountain biking to the schedule.
Since we first bought 'Shelly,' we have driven him way too many miles, moved to a much more laid back city, and we have a view of mountains out every window of our apartment.

On top of all that, it's now only a 6 hour drive to get to Moab, our favorite town to visit, so we met up with our friends from back home for Austin's birthday weekend.  Sheldon was pretty weighed down by all of the gear for the weekend, but there is always enough room for car snacks.
FROSTED PUMPKIN BARS
4 eggs
1 c. oil
2 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
2 c. flour
1 c. pumpkin puree
3 oz. cream cheese
6 Tbsp. margarine, melted
3 c. powdered sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. milk

1.  Whisk together eggs, oil, sugar, salt, cinnamon, soda, baking powder, flour and pumpkin puree.  Pour into greased jelly roll pan (cookie sheet with raised edges).

2.  Bake at 350˚ for 20-25 minutes.  Test with toothpick in center of cake.

3.  Beat together remaining ingredients for frosting.  Spread on warm cake.

16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It's definitely the best pumpkin recipe...in my mind at least :) Did you go to the "Gold Room" yet? or have all the leaves fallen?

      Delete
    2. wowo, must be smelling like FALL in your kitchen! just bought 3 mini pumpkins y'day, and I think I'll try these bars:) also, I'd love it if you could share the recipe for the bakeFest event on my blog here: http://www.funandfoodcafe.com/2012/10/blog-event-bake-fest-12.html

      Thanks,
      Mansi

      Delete
    3. Yes Mansi, it is definitely changing seasons (if only inside the house!...the outside is bound to follow!). Thanks for letting me know about your bakeFest event - I will link up right now! Come back soon :)

      Delete
  2. What size jelly roll pan ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 17.25" x 11.5" pan. So the bars are pretty thin. If you don't have a jelly roll pan, you could make them in a sheet cake pan - they would just be thicker, more like a cake and adjust the cooking time as needed.

      Delete
  3. This looks delicious. And i LOVE the name of your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aimee! Fudge was a family nickname growing up, and you know, I love pretty much anything if it has sugar in it! It's a two-fer!

      Delete
  4. These look delicious can't wait to make them :). I was wandering if you know how many pumpkin bars this makes. Thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes a 17.25"x11.5" pan - so it depends on how big you cut them, but you should be able to get at least 45 out of a tray. Let me know what you think of them!

      Delete
  5. Wow, these sound so good. I know my grand kids will love them. Will make them within a couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Your grandkids definitely will love them!...I have a feeling you will too ;)

      Delete
  6. do i puree the raw pumpkin? or do I bake the pumpkin first?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Audrey - I used canned, pureed pumpkin. If you'd like to use fresh, cook the pumpkin first, then puree it. Let me know how they turn out!

      -Sarah

      Delete
  7. This recipe will make great mini cup cakes too. It is also a great recipe for a beginner chef, like my 10 year
    old granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of the first things I remember making (with help)! Let me know how they turn out if you make them into cupcakes - I've never tried that before.
      -Sarah

      Delete

Blogging tips