Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Green Tomato Quick Bread

One of my favorite things to bake is bread.  I like the yeasty smell that fills up the house and I love the that it does take time.  That way when you're done, you feel like you're really invested in the outcome.
That being said, I also love quick breads.  There's not really a downside to mixing together a few ingredients, filling up your house with amazing scents, and an hour later slicing into warm, flavorful bread.
Of course I've made and eaten my fair share of banana bread, zucchini bread and pumpkin bread.  I mistakenly thought that those were the only options though, so I was pretty intrigued when I found this recipe for green tomato quick bread.
This bread is sweet, and moist (sorry -- I hate that word), and nutty at the same time.  If you didn't know there were tomatoes in it, I don't think you could pick out that flavor, so it's kind of like magic.  You just have to try it for yourself, I guess.

GREEN TOMATO QUICK BREAD
Recipe from Allrecipes.com
1 c. green tomatoes, finely diced
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. canola oil
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 c. flour
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/8 tsp. baking powder
1 c. pecans, chopped

1.  Preheat oven to 350˚.  Grease and flour loaf pan.

2.  Whisk together green tomatoes, sugar, oil, egg and vanilla.  Set aside.

3.  Sift together dry ingredients, add to tomato mixture.  Stir in pecans. 

4.  Pour batter into prepared pan and cook for 1 hour (toothpick test).  Cool in pan for 10 minutes then turn out onto wire rack.

2 comments:

  1. Would love to try this, but would like to know what kind of 1/8 tsp.powder do you mean? Think it might be baking powder, but not sure. Thanks, judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy! I did mean baking powder - I'm so sorry I left that off the ingredient list (I'll change it)! Let me know what you think of the bread - I love the 'crusty' part on top of this recipe :)
      -Sarah

      Delete

Blogging tips