Friday, October 5, 2012

Filled German Chocolate Cupcakes

My birthday is in January and I am very used to snow on my birthday.  It means a lot of things.  It means you get to go sledding.  It means there could be a snow day!  And it also means ice cream on your cake might not sound like the best idea.
Austin's birthday was last Saturday, and he is (slightly) less accustomed to snow on his birthday.  (Only slightly since we grew up in Utah.)  This year we went to the desert and dealt with 85˚ and and a strong, scorching sun.
(This is how we celebrated his birthday!)
Because we were traveling, I needed to make his cake portable.  So cupcakes it was.  Austin really likes german chocolate cake, but because he has a nut allergy, he usually can't eat it.  So for the past few years I have been making it without the nuts (even though it kills me to leave them out) just for him.
I guess it is his birthday and it should be all about him.

But this morning we woke up to snow covering the ground, so now officially we are nearing my "birthday season" and we can ignore all of his weird allergies, and I can make a pecan pie!
FILLED GERMAN CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES
1 german chocolate cake mix (because I was lazy)

For the Filling:
1 c. sugar
1 c. evaporated milk
3 egg yolks
1/2 c. butter, cubed
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/4 c. pecans, finely chopped
1 1/2 c. sweetened shredded coconut

For the Frosting:
1 stick butter, at room temperature
3 c. powdered sugar
1/4 c. cocoa powder
1 tsp. vanilla
dash salt
1-3 Tbsp. cream

1.  Prepare cupcakes as directed on box.

2.  In a medium saucepan, beat together egg yolks, sugar, and evaporated milk.  Over medium heat, stir in butter, salt, and vanilla until thickened.  Add pecans and coconut.  Remove from heat and let cool.

3.  In a medium mixing bowl beat butter, powdered sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla and salt.  Add cream slowly until frosting reaches desired consistency.  Taste test and check if you need more of any ingredient then adjust - this isn't an exact science :)

4.  Once cupcakes and coconut filling are cooled, use a piping bag (without tip attached) and fill cupcakes by pressing the tip of the bag into the top of the cupcake and squeezing in filling until cupcakes look like they are going to burst apart.
*The coconut and pecans will clog the tip occasionally, so clear it out and start again.

5.  Pipe or spread on chocolate frosting to cover up the hole where the coconut filling was piped in.

4 comments:

  1. Yaaay! I used to love German chocolate cake, then all three boyfriends I've had all disliked coconut. No cake for me. Now you have given me an awesome recipe for cupcakes to share with my coworkers/prevent me from eating an entire cake alone, so I get to have my cake and eat it too! Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I could help Anna! I don't understand or condone not liking coconut though! Even though Austin can't eat nuts, sometimes I just have to be selfish anyway, but your method of sharing with co-workers is a much better idea!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These chocolate cupcakes look yummy! I think I deserve to eat some of these to improve my sleep cycles

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips