Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Microwave Chex Mix

There are a lot of ways to keep your recipes organized.  There are handwritten cookbooks with your favorite recipes.  You could take a more tech-savvy approach and enter them into a database of sorts.  You could pin them all.  And of course, there's the tried-and-true method of recipe boxes.
My parents have a recipe box with tons of amazing recipes.  Most are pretty easy to find: i.e. Macaroni & Cheese goes under "M," Peanut Butter Cookies goes under "P," etc. etc.  But where do you put things like "Baked Spaghetti?"  Is that a "B" or an "S?"
Well, Chex Mix falls into the latter category as well.  Every normal person would put it behind the "C" tab and call it good.  My family puts it under "M" for Microwave Chex Mix, which means that every time you want to make this, you have to remind yourself of the full name and the fact that the Flinn family is a little crazy.
This Chex Mix may not look like much (actually it just looks like a bowl of cereal).  There are no M&M's, no pretzels, no peanuts.  Just a super tasty, salty snack food.  Try it for yourself, and then let me know where you decide to file away the recipe!

MICROWAVE CHEX MIX
1 stick margarine
1 1/4 tsp. Lowry's seasoned salt
4 1/2 tsp. worcestershire sauce
8 c. Crispix cereal

1.  In a 9x13" glass pan, melt margarine in microwave.  Add Lowry's and worcestershire sauce.  Mix together.

2.  Add cereal and stir until coated.

3.  Microwave for 7 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes.  Pour onto paper towels until cool.

6 comments:

  1. That sounds good...I would make some, but I ruined our microwave by burning popcorn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was living in the dorms, I almost set off the alarms for the whole building by making Chex Mix -- Did I ever tell you that? It got pretty smoky!

      Delete
  2. This might be my favorite food in the whole world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could be my favorite snack food...favorite all-around? I don't know if I'd go that far, but I'm glad I put the idea back in your head so you could make it again this weekend!

      Delete
  3. Chex Mix fail (on my part)! I stress the importance of using a glass dish. My large plastic bowl melted in the microwave after 6 minutes and I even stopped it every 2 minutes to stir. Lots of smoke and burnt Chex Mix! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first time I made this Chex Mix, I was living in the dorms and I also burnt it all! I had to open up all the windows in the common room at the end of the hall and I was TERRIFIED that all the smoke detectors were going to go off, the whole building would be evacuated, fire trucks would be called! Luckily, that didn't happen. But you are definitely right, glass dish and stir often :)

      Delete

Blogging tips