Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Baked Apples

Happy Halloween!

Halloween is one of those holidays that is awesome for kiddos.  They get to dress up, eat way too much sugar, and wear makeup.  Even though the makeup is inexplicably itchy and you'll wind up a witch with only green streaks left on your face at the end of the night, wearing makeup was still a major perk of the holiday.
So after coming home with claw marks down my face, my sisters and I would to separate our candy all over the living room floor.  All the Reese's go in one pile.  All the Tootsie Rolls in another.  Then the bartering began.  Our mom made us throw away the Dubble Bubble right away (can't have that sugar gum - it's ok to eat actual sugar, just not sugar in gum form, I guess?).
The candy we got was always pretty standard.  Chocolate bars, suckers, and one random popcorn ball thrown in for good measure.  But I remember going to my grandma's house right before Halloween every year and helping her make the caramel apples she was going to give to the few trick-or-treaters that she had every year.  I guess all the neighbors must have trusted her, because I don't think you could find a parent in America that would let their kid take an unwrapped apple that's been dipped in homemade caramel to save your life!
Because no one is going to take your caramel apples anyway, you might as well make this other apple-based recipe from my grandma.  Baked apples are: first of all, easier to make than caramel apples; second of all. easier to eat than caramel apples; and third of all, tastier than caramel apples.  Give them a try, just don't try to hand them out when you get a ring at the doorbell tonight.

BAKED APPLES
Recipe from Grandma Flinn
1/4 c. sugar
3 Tbsp. flour
1 1/2 c. water
5-6 apples
butter
cinnamon & sugar
10-12 marshmallows

1.  In the bottom of a baking dish mix together sugar and flour.  Add water to form syrup.

2.  Cut apples in half and core.  Place on top of syrup.  Add a dot of butter to each apple half.  Sprinkle cinnamon and sugar over the top.

3.  Bake at 350˚ for 35-40 minutes.  Remove from oven, top each apple half with a marshmallow and return to oven.  Bake until marshmallows are golden brown.

*We always had these right alongside dinner, but they are definitely sweet enough to be a dessert, just depends on how "healthy" you want to be ;)

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! We are going to try this tonight! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear it, Jacqueline! I hope it gets your family's approval!!

      Delete
  2. My husband doesn't like sweet potatoes. For Thanksgiving this year I plan to substitute this apple dish for the traditional candied sweet potatoes with marshmellows --- or, maybe make both. :) Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I were you, I'd make both...but my favorite vegetable is the sweet potato! I think you'll both really love this recipe though. Let me know what you think!
      xo
      Sarah

      Delete

Blogging tips