Friday, October 12, 2012

Brownies Deluxe

The way that I see it, there are three types of people in this world, and they can be categorized by how they like their brownies:
  1. Fudgey and gooey on the inside.
  2. Cakey and thick - cooked all the way through.
  3. Blondies
I will never understand the people that fall into categories 2 and 3.  I know it's like a thing to not like chocolate, but I don't get it and I don't want to get it.  And if you like your brownies like cake, why not just have cake? 
So obviously I fall into category 1.  I think you should too and if any brownie is going to convince you to switch camps, these are the ones to do it.  

These brownies are beyond deluxe.  They have everything delicious smashed into each bite!  There's the gooey brownie base and then that's topped with marshmallow and chocolate frosting.  Yes, they're sweet - but trust me, you will keep coming back and slicing off another sliver at a time, until before you know it, half the pan's gone.  I've seen it happen.
BROWNIES DELUXE
Recipe from Aunt Linda
Brownies:
2 sticks margarine
4 squares unsweetened chocolate
4 eggs
2 c. sugar
1 tsp. (heaping) baking powder
2 tsp. vanilla
1 c. pecans, chopped
Topping and Icing:
1 stick margarine
4 squares unsweetened chocolate
1 - 5 oz. can evaporated milk (2/3 c.)
1 c. sugar
1 large bag mini marshmallows
1 lb. powdered sugar (about 3 1/2 c.)
1 Tbsp. vanilla

1.  Melt margarine and chocolate (for the brownies) in a double boiler over simmering water.  

2.  In separate bowl, beat eggs.  Gradually add sugar.  Sift flour and baking powder together and add to egg mixture.  Add melted chocolate and mix well.  Add vanilla and nuts.  Pour into a greased 15x10x1" jelly roll pan.

3.  Bake at 300˚ for 30 minutes.

4.  While brownies are baking, add chocolate and margarine for the icing to the double boiler (do not wash bowl after making brownies).  Add milk and sugar after chocolate is melted.  Cook slowly.

5.  Remove brownies from oven.  Cover with marshmallows. 

6.  Add powdered sugar and vanilla to icing.  Beat until smooth.  Pour over marshmallows while hot.  Bake 3-4 minutes more.

7.  Remove from oven and swirl with fork.  Let stand overnight.

8 comments:

  1. I am category 3 and sometimes 1 when that mood strikes me.....but NEVER a 2!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not saying I would choose a 2, but if that's all there is - sure, I'll have one...basically, I will never refuse any type of dessert :)

      Delete
  2. Are you going to eat ALL of those?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you come visit me, there might be some left :)

      Delete
  3. Type 1 all the way for me too! I love brownies, and these sound extra decadent and gooey. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you agree with me! And yes, decadent is a perfect word to describe these brownies!!

      Delete
  4. Haha! Oh yeah on for fudgeness and gooeyness!

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips