Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Caramels

I consider myself a pretty athletic person.  Not to say that I'm one of those people that's naturally gifted whenever they try out a new sport.  I mean "athletic" more in the sense that I do a lot.  Nothing particularly well, but I stay active enough so that I can eat all of the food on this blog.

I am a yoga instructor (teaching my first class in Boulder tonight!), and I rock climb.  I was on the swim team in high school for one year (until the coach made me swim with pink eye and bronchitis).

So even though I'm not exactly fond of my big shoulders and hulk-like traps, I would say that my shoulders and and arms are pretty strong.
I remember making these caramels with my grandma when I was little and I remember her standing over the stove stirring away at them.  What I didn't realize was that my grandma was stronger than any combination of climbing, swimming and yoga is going to get me!
These caramels do require a little more gumption than most recipes because it is absolutely necessary that you do NOT stop stirring!  Not even to change the channel on the TV or to get a napkin to wipe the sweat off your brow.

No, it's not really that bad - but you will get your arm workout in.  For that reason, I recommend you switch stirring hands every few minutes!

CARAMELS
3 c. sugar
1 - 16 oz. bottle + 2 Tbsp. light Karo syrup
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 pints heavy cream
1 c. evaporated milk
1 tsp. vanilla
6 Tbsp. butter
squares of wax paper (to wrap the caramels in)

1.  Cook sugar, Karo and salt in a big heavy pan - place candy thermometer on the side.  Bring to 230˚

2.  While boiling, add cream and evaporated milk.  Stir CONTINUOUSLY until the mixture reaches 240˚.

3.  Remove from heat.  Add butter and vanilla.

4.  Pour into buttered 9x13" pan.  Cool and cut into small pieces.  Wrap in wax paper.

8 comments:

  1. Yummy yummy in my tummy. Thanks for sharing them in Indiana!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! Do you want some more? We still have a ton!

      Delete
  2. Going to make these. they look so yummy. THANKS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea! It makes a big batch, so they're great to give out as gifts too!

      Delete
  3. Another yummy "Sarah recipe"!! I will try these out at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is a "Beth Flinn Recipe," so it's even better!

      Delete
  4. Those look like great caramels! I could use an arm workout...maybe I can pretend this one will do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't have to pretend - when you make these, you'll see what I'm talking about!

      Delete

Blogging tips