Monday, September 24, 2012

Peach Applesauce

Last Friday, I found the perfect puppy.

Let me paint the scene for you.  I was running some errands and on my way back home, I pulled up behind a Prius at a stop light.  It had a bumper sticker for "Rocky Mountain Puppy Rescue" on it.  I fumbled around the car trying to find a pen and a scrap of paper so I could expand my puppy search.  Finally found one and when I finished writing down the website, I looked up and the car had long since left the stop light.
When I got home, the first thing I did was plug in the URL.  I scrolled through 35 puppies and then I found her!  She is part Husky (what Austin wants), part German Shepherd (what I want) and all perfect!  She had bright blue eyes and was only 2 months old.  At this point, I was thinking that the stars were aligning in my favor and that this had to be a sign!

Problem was: if we wanted her, we had to adopt her on Saturday.  

We have to go out of town for another wedding in a few weeks and unfortunately we are way too responsible.  We thought it through for too long, weighing the options.  In the end, we decided we just couldn't do it.  
Sometimes I really wish I was more irresponsible and threw caution to the wind.  But I guess that's just not me.  

On top of that disappointing event, the seasons are changing and those two things in combination had me craving some comfort food.
My mom used to make homemade applesauce every once in a while and I always remember loving the smells that filled up the house.  Since summer officially faded into fall this weekend, I decided to combine the fruits of both seasons and make it even easier by using a crockpot!

PEACH APPLESAUCE
3 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
2 peaches, peeled and sliced
1/2 c. water
2 Tbsp. honey
1 Tbsp. cinnamon

1.  Add apples, peaches, water and honey to a crockpot.  Set to low temperature and cook for 3-4 hours.  

2.  Add cinnamon and transfer to blender (or use immersion blender).  Blend until smooth.  Serve warm or cooled.  Seal leftovers in jars/tupperware and store in refrigerator for up to 10 days.

6 comments:

  1. Aww I wanted you to take that puppy; sometimes those aligned stars are a sign! We had a puppy choose us when we went to look for one for my daughter; the teeny babies were the perfect age because she had to wait until a roommate moved out but there was an 8 week old pup that was determined; she picked up for real! She is now five and I simply can not imagine my daughter without that dog!

    That being said, there is some comfort in this fabulous sounding applesauce...I've got some peaches and apples I need to use; perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe me Barbara, we wanted that puppy to choose us too! We just didn't think it would have been fair to her to take her right now. Just checked the website and some other loving family adopted her, so I'm sure when we are ready, the right puppy will pick us then!

      Delete
  2. Yum! I have never heard of peach applesauce and it is so easy too. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joan! Yes, it is very easy - you could make it over the stove in a stockpot just as easily too, if you don't want to break out your crockpot!

      Delete
  3. Can this be canned in a water bath?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure - I have never done any "real" canning, but I think as long as everything is clean, you should be able to. Let me know what you find out!
      -Sarah

      Delete

Blogging tips