Thursday, September 6, 2012

Peach Corn Cakes

So I know on Tuesday I said that I was going to miss tomatoes the most from summer.  I might have to amend that.  Peaches definitely deserve a shout out too!
Luckily, we have a few more weeks of sweet, juicy peaches left.  And when you combine good peaches with cooler mornings, you won't even mind standing over the stove, flipping pancakes.

This is something that I was strongly resisting all summer.  I don't do well with heat.  At. All.  I think this is something I got from my mom :)
But now we are moving into the season where I can let the heat from the stove warm up the house and have fresh-baked treats streaming out of the oven.
We're not quite there yet, but soon a cup of tea in the afternoon will sound more like a treat and less like a horrible punishment.  We'll get lazier.  Wake up later on the weekends and spend the whole morning lounging around in pajamas.

We'll eat pancakes and bacon for breakfast and we'll forget all about yogurt and granola.

PEACH CORN CAKES
3/4 c. flour
3/4 c. corn meal
3 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/4 c. buttermilk
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. chopped peaches + more for topping

1.  Whisk together dry ingredients.  Set aside.

2.  Beat buttermilk, vanilla and eggs together then whisk into flour mixture.

3.  Stir in 1 cup chopped peaches.

4.  Drop by 1/4 cupfuls into a hot, buttered skillet.  When bubbles start to pop on the top, flip and cook 2nd side until browned.

5.  Serve with chopped peaches warmed in maple syrup.

2 comments:

  1. This just looks amazing and mouth watering. I bet that these pancakes have the right sweetness in it. I know of a catering company in Sydney that provides breakfast meals as well. They also have a wide variety of flavored pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Daniel...they are the perfect balance of sweet and savory!

      Delete

Blogging tips