Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Red, Wheat, and Blueberries

Normally, I think that the emphasis on 4th of July themed foods is a bit, well...unappetizing.  I don't want my cakes or puddings or pies to be bright red and blue and I don't need glittery fireworks sprinkled on my plate.
Normally, I would say, "leave the royal blue and fire engine red to the streamers."  Normally, I would say, "leave the glittery fireworks to the glittery fireworks."  But this year, there are (for VERY good reason) no fireworks for the West.
But this year, since there are no fireworks and we don't know everyone that's walking down Main St. in the parade, maybe we need a little bit of celebratory sugar.

I'm still going to go ahead and opt out of the food dye-inspired patriotism though :)

WHOLE WHEAT SHORTCAKE
w/Strawberries and Blueberries
1 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. whole wheat flour
3 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
2 T. sugar
1/2 c. shortening
3/4 c. milk
1 1/2 c. fresh blueberries
1 1/2 c. fresh strawberries, sliced
1 c. heavy whipping cream
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 +/- sugar

1.  Sift together dry ingredients.

2.  Cut in shortening.  Using a fork, blend until the consistency of rice.

3.  Add milk and blend until just combined.

4.  Smooth into the bottom of a greased, 8-inch, round cake pan.  Bake at 450˚ for 20-25 minutes.
5.  While shortcake is cooking, beat cream on high until medium peaks form.  Add vanilla and sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form.

6.  Cut shortcakes into wedges, top with fresh berries and whipped cream.

3 comments:

  1. Our fireworks for tonight and tomorrow got canceled today. :-(

    Now I'll have to come up with some appropriate food to celebrate.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard that...it's probably a good idea though. No need to have more houses destroyed. Maybe you could make a cake and stick a sparkler in the top!

      Delete

Blogging tips