Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Zucchini Cupcakes with Caramel Frosting

It seems like I'm always ready for the next season to come.

A few months ago, when it was rainy and shifting quickly between winter clothes and summer clothes, I couldn't wait for summer.  I had big plans of how I was going to take advantage of all that the summer season offers up.
I was going to be outside more.  Eat fresh tomato sandwiches.  Stay up late drinking beer on the deck.  Get a tan.  
Now that summer is in full swing I can't stop daydreaming about snow!  I want to go snowshoeing and drink cocoa by a fire.  I want to bundle up and not sweat.  Not sweating is really the big motivator here!
Now I really only have one option.  I'm going to trick myself into enjoying the rest of the summer.  I'm going to eat these cupcakes made from fresh summer veggies out on the deck late into the evening and pair it with a light, summery beer.
Yes, I am going to sweat through this summer and I'm going to make myself as excited about it as I was a few months ago.

ZUCCHINI CUPCAKES with CARAMEL FROSTING
Recipe slightly adapted from Taste of Home
3 eggs
1 1/3 c. sugar
1/2 c. canola oil
1/2 c. orange juice
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 c. flour
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 c. zucchini, shredded

1.  Beat together eggs, sugar, oil, orange juice, and vanilla.  

2.  Combine dry ingredients and gradually add to egg mixture.  Stir in zucchini.

3.  Line muffin pan and fill 2/3 of the way to the top.  Bake at 350˚ for 20-25 minutes.  (Check for doneness with a toothpick.)

4.  Cool for 10 minutes in pan then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
CARAMEL FROSTING
1 c. brown sugar, packed
1/2 c. butter, cubed
1/4 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 - 2 c. powdered sugar
salt to taste

1.  Combine brown sugar, butter and milk in a saucepan.  Bring to a boil over medium heat.  Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.  Remove from heat.

2.  Stir in vanilla.  Cool to lukewarm.
3.  Gradually beat in powdered sugar until frosting reaches spreadable consistency.  Stir in salt to taste.  Pipe onto cooled cupcakes.

*Makes 1 1/2 - 2 dozen.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. not like really tanning. not laying out with baby oil smeared all over me (who would do that!!) but more just the enjoying-the-outdoors-and-having-a-side-effect-of-being-bronzed kind of tanning :)

      Delete
  2. These are GREAT !
    Love this recipe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Winnie! It's so great to have you stop by my site...I love your blog as well :) I hope you come back often!
      -Sarah

      Delete
  3. Thank you for linking these delicious cupcakes with See Ya In the Gumbo. It's good to have you join in. Right now I'm dreaming of Fall--looking forward to cooler temps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting! It's so hard not to dream of cooler temperatures isn't it?!

      Delete

Blogging tips