Thursday, July 5, 2012

Summer Pasta

Around this time, last year, my family and I were on the trip of lifetime!  We went on an African Safari through Kenya and saw amazing animals and landscapes, learned about a new culture, AND got to fly on a British airline!

People can keep trying to convince me that Brits are speaking the same language as I am all they want, but those flight attendants for Virgin Atlantic are doing nothing to help their case.
Since it was a really long flight from London to Nairobi, we were offered food (as if humans actually need more than just stale air and 20 cubic inches of space to survive)!  The choices weren't anything that spectacular (it was still a plane), and I don't remember exactly what I ended up picking, but I do remember what I did not have.  I was very tempted by the "Summer Pasta" dish that sounded refreshing and light.  Exactly what you would want on a hot, cramped airplane.  The type of meal that always sounds good in July.
I asked the very nice flight attendant what exactly came in the Summer Pasta.

She looked at me confused and said, "Summer."

My mom, who was laughing in the seat in front of me, turned around and said, "Salmon!  Salmon comes in the Salmon Pasta!"

I turned to the flight attendant and said, "I'll have the beef.  Thank you."

I really wish we had this pasta on that flight.  That would have been nice and refreshing :)

SUMMER PASTA
2 c. orzo pasta
2 cloves garlic, minced
juice of 1 lemon + zest
juice of 1 lime + zest
2 tomatoes, seeded & chopped (or cherry tomatoes, halved)
1/4 c. cilantro, chopped
4 scallions, chopped
yellow pepper, chopped
1/4 c. butter
1/2 c. cream
1/2 c. parmesan cheese, grated
salt & pepper, to taste

1. In a large skillet, sauté garlic in a little bit of extra virgin olive oil.

2. While garlic is cooking, boil water and cook pasta according to package directions.  Reserve 1/2 c. pasta water for sauce.

3.  To the garlic, add lemon and lime juices and zests.  Add all vegetables and sauté for 2 minutes.  Add pasta water, butter, cream, and parmesan and continue to simmer until thickened.

4.  Add orzo to the sauce and mix together.  Salt and pepper to taste.

*Serves 4

6 comments:

  1. Summer pasta sounds delicious....I wish I would have tried some summer pasta on the plane....too bad summer pasta had salmon in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sarah,

    Do you think you could do milk instead of cream? Or any other substitutes that direction? I still need to make your polenta pie thing. You have the best recipes! Hope you guys are safe from the fires.

    Erin

    ps- I'm not sure if I ever replied to our last conversation, but I'm not working at Basin, I'm in physical therapy school, but we volunteered at national trails day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Erin...I'm sure you could use milk instead...just add some flour or corn starch to thicken it up. (Make sure you mix the flour or corn starch into a cup with milk first and dissolve it, then add it to the rest of the sauce so it doesn't clump up.) Let me know how it turns out substituting the cream.

      That's awesome that you're going to PT school...where are you going?

      And yes, we are safe from the fires...especially with all the rain we've gotten this past week. Thanks for asking! You stay safe yourself :)

      Sarah

      Delete
  3. That was so funny! Sweets for London?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHHAAHA!!!! Still makes me laugh every time I think about it!

      Delete

Blogging tips