Monday, July 30, 2012

Blueberry Corncakes

This Olympics has got me thinking.  Namely, about the queen.  Is Queen capitalized?  Is she like Mom or God?  I don't remember learning that rule in English class.

I also didn't learn that Peter Pan existed outside of the Disney realm.  Who knew it was a book first?  So, it's safe to say, I was a little lost during the opening ceremonies.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed them.  I just didn't understand them.
Anyway, back to the Queen.  Do you ever wonder what she eats for breakfast?  I bet it involves a soft boiled egg in one of those fancy egg holders.  She probably doesn't get up and pour herself a bowl of Cheerios.
If I had someone to cook for me whatever I wanted to eat every single morning, two things would happen.  First of all, I would weight 500 pounds and second of all, I would have pancakes.  All the time.  I would have pancakes filled with fresh fruit and cornmeal.  I would top them off with a "healthy" amount of butter and real maple syrup.

But, since I'm not the queen, I get up and make my own drip coffee and pour myself a bowl of Cheerios.  I only get to have these "Queen's Pancakes" on the weekend.
BLUEBERRY CORNCAKES
3/4 c. flour
3/4 c. cornmeal
3 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/4 c. buttermilk
2 eggs
splash of vanilla
1 c. fresh blueberries (+more for topping pancakes)

1.  Whisk together dry ingredients, set aside.

2.  Whisk together buttermilk, eggs and vanilla then add to dry ingredients, stirring until just combined.

3.  Stir in blueberries.

4.  Place a greased skillet over medium heat.  Once the pan is hot, add batter by 1/4 cupfuls to the skillet.  Once bubbles start breaking on the surface flip.  Cook second side until golden brown.

5.  Top with more butter, fresh blueberries and maple syrup.

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm, this was probably one of the most entertaining posts I have ever read. I seriously cannot wait to read more! And these look delicious, so that even adds to this post's awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! That is probably the best compliment I've ever gotten :)

      Delete
    2. You bet! But seriously. Keep up this whole blogging thing. You have a fun writing voice :)

      Delete
  3. YUM! I love cornmeal in pretty much anything! I've made blueberry cornmeal muffins, so I definitely need to try the pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes do try them out and let me know what you think! Did you post your recipe for the muffins? I'd love to give them a try!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for inviting me! I'm glad you stopped by

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super that you linked in. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just found your blog via Carole's Chatter. Your food looks delicious, and I look forward to reading more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips