Monday, July 23, 2012

How to: Cook Fresh Beets

I don't really have a green thumb.  That's not keeping me from trying.  I planted zucchini, tomatoes, jalapeños, strawberries and herbs.

So far, I have gotten 5 teeny tiny strawberries.  I rinsed them off and ate them this morning.
I think they poisoned me.  I've been feeling sick ever since.

I guess that's what I get for trying to be self-sufficient.
This lack of green thumbs, is obviously genetic.  My parents don't have much luck either.  However, they do get some beets every year.

I was pretty hesitant to eat beets.  I thought they were going to taste like the miserable mushy things served in a  little dish every Christmas at my grandma's house.  Those were canned.  Those were nothing like these!
Be warned: they will dye your mouth and teeth red though!  Not good party food :)
BEETS
Fresh Beets
1 tsp. Sugar
1 tsp. Salt
Salt & Pepper
Butter

1.  Trim back roots and leaves of beets to about 1 inch.

2.  Clean under cold water.  Be careful so you don't cut through the skin and leave the skin on while they cook - this will keep the bright red color.

3.  Add beets to a large saucepan and cover with cold water.  Add sugar and 1 tsp. salt to water.  Cover.

4.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.  Continue cooking for 45-60 minutes depending on the size.

5.  Remove from heat.  Drain and submerge them in cold water immediately.  Cut of the roots and stems then the skins will peel of easily when you rub them between your hands.

6.  Slice them and serve with butter, salt and pepper.

6 comments:

  1. Another good way to eat them is to put them in a foil packet with a little EVOO, s+p, and any other seasoning you want and roast them until they are soft.

    After that I like to mix them with a little orange juice and cayenne to make them sweet and spicy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i have some in my fridge right now - I'll have to try that! That sounds really really good!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I think it's time you take more aggressive measures...you should buy yourself a pet fox! That should fix the problem!!

      Delete
  3. Great tips. I found you via the Tuesday Talent Show from Chef in Training
    I have linked a pizza I did with leftover roast chicken. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carole! Thanks so much for checking out my blog! Maybe next time you can put beets on your pizza too :) I'll definitely check out your website. I hope you come back often!!

      Sarah

      Delete

Blogging tips