Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Vanilla Ice Cream

Ice cream flavors can be a really divisive issue between people.  For whatever reason, people just cannot seem to understand why someone would like something other than what they like.

If you love Rocky Road, how could anyone ever prefer Neapolitan?  If chocolate's your thing, why would people want to ruin it with cookie dough and fudge swirls?

So, needless to say, people are often confused when I tell them that my favorite flavor is vanilla.

Usually, they respond, "Just Vanilla?!"  "A plain vanilla shake?!"  Well, it's not just, plain vanilla!  It's delicious and it's a classic!
I think that this ice cream might be able to bring some people around to my camp though.  This is by far the best vanilla ice cream recipe I have ever tried.  Actually, it's the best ice cream recipe that I've had period.

And if that's still not enough to convince you - there's always hot fudge and caramel toppings!
VANILLA ICE CREAM
Recipe from Alton Brown
2 c. half and half
1 c. whipping cream
1 c. minus 2 Tbsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. peach preserves
1 vanilla bean

1.  Split and scrape out the vanilla bean.  In a medium saucepan combine all ingredients including the hull of the vanilla bean.

2.  Cook over medium heat until the first bubble comes to the surface (170˚).

3.  Once cooled, pour into a tupperware and refrigerate overnight.

4.  Pour contents into ice cream maker and follow manufacturer's instructions.  Serve soft right out of the ice cream maker or place in the freezer to harden.

10 comments:

  1. You inspired me to make ice cream today. Can't wait until tomorrow when it is ready. And I'm definitely going to make the salted caramel bacon ice cream this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the same ice cream maker that you have and I'm keeping it in the freezer so I can always have fresh stuff on hand! I'm not as into bacon as you are but let me know how it turns out!

      Delete
  2. I'm really hoping I get an ice cream maker for my bday this weekend (the big 4-0, I deserve an ice cream maker!), but of course, the best ice cream is chocolate ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Birthday! You definitely deserve an ice cream maker! I'd love to hear about your chocolate recipe too (I like it served with warm marshmallow fluff)!

      Delete
  3. Ensign India - We manufacture, trade and retail various kinds of Commercial Kitchen Equipments including Display Cabinets, Freezers/ Chillers, Coolers, Fast Food Counters, Exhaust & Fresh Air System, Kitchen Equipment Manufacturer, Sandwich Griller etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've made this before, and it's well worth the cost of the vanilla bean. Try the mint chip one from his other ice cream episode, it's fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is literally the best homemade ice cream I've had! I will definitely try the mint chip :)

      Delete
  5. I made this again yesterday.....To top off some peach cobbler. Both were delicious, but combined it made it infinitely better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i need to make some peach cobbler again soon! - i'm glad you liked the ice cream...again!

      Delete
    2. You do need some peach cobbler. It's the season for it and it's just not as good in the winter.

      Delete

Blogging tips