Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Spinach & Sun Dried Tomato Ravioli

On Monday night, Austin and I went to Whole Foods to get some groceries.  Seemed pretty run of the mill, right?
Pull up, run in, get some milk, eggs, and bread, overpay then go back home.  That was the plan.  And we carried out that plan, there was just one thing that stood out as odd.  

In the parking space next to ours was an older man, covered from head to toe with grey hair.  When I say, covered from head to toe, I mean it.  And I know it because he was totally nudies in the Whole Foods parking lot.
Now I know Boulder is kind of known for being a hippie town and people are open-minded and everything, but I don't really want to see that right before I go buy some bananas.

Anyway, we moved on, bought our eggs, and then made some dinner.  It was a good welcome back from the East Coast!
SPINACH & SUN DRIED TOMATO RAVIOLI
For the Filling:
1 egg
15 oz. ricotta
1 pkg. frozen spinach, microwaved per packaging directions
1/4 c. sun dried tomatoes in oil, chopped
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/8 tsp. nutmeg 


1 pkg. wonton wrappers
1 egg 
1 Tbsp. water

1.  Mix together all filling ingredients.  

2.  Mix together egg and water to create an egg wash.  Drop teaspoons of filling into each wonton wrapper, brush egg wash onto edges,  then fold opposite corner to opposite corner (creating triangles) and press closed with a fork.  Continue until all are filled.

3.  If cooking immediately, drop into boiling water and cook until raviolis float to the top.  If freezing, lay out raviolis in a single level onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.  Cover with parchment paper and continue layering raviolis.  Freeze overnight.  When frozen, remove from cookie sheet and store in a ziploc bag.

*To cook frozen raviolis later, do not thaw - drop pasta into boiling water and drain when they float to the surface.

4.  Serve warm with your favorite sauce or sprinkle with parmesan cheese.

8 comments:

  1. No photos? I guess I don't believe you then... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos!

    Also, thanks for the great laugh. Hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rebecca! I'm glad others can get enjoyment out of the story! :)

      Delete
  3. Mmmm looks good. I've never tried wonton wrappers for ravioli but it's an excellent time saver.This type of whole foods incident made me laugh because it could easily have taken place in Vancouver, maybe it's a whole food thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha - maybe it's something in the organic veggies that makes people loose all inhibitions!

      Delete
  4. Amazing photos - glad there's no naked hairy man! I've never tried making my own pasta, but using wonton wrapper seems to make things much less daunting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennie! It definitely does make it easier - it's not exactly the same as making pasta but since I don't have a pasta maker, this will have to do!

      Delete

Blogging tips