Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Sage Biscuits

When I cut the sage from my "garden" yesterday, I knew exactly what I wanted to make.  These sage biscuits.  Perfectly simple and delicious.
The only ingredient I didn't have on-hand was the buttermilk.
After searching the first store's shelves and asking if they had any buttermilk hiding in the back, I left empty handed.  Next store down the road - same story.  I drove across town to the 3rd store, and there were 4 left!  4!  I never thought that there would be such high demand for buttermilk!
What are you all making out there that requires so much sour milk?
But luckily, I did not give up in my pursuit, because these biscuits didn't disappoint.  So if you're one of the people that bought buttermilk recently and you have a little leftover, whip these up!
SAGE BISCUITS
Recipe from The New York Times
2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
6 Tbsp. butter, chilled
1/4 c. chopped sage (I used pineapple sage, because that's what I planted)
3/4 c. + 1 Tbsp. buttermilk
1 Tbsp. melted butter

1.  Mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

2.  Dice butter and add to flour mixture along with sage.  Cut in with a pastry cutter or fork (should be very coarse).

3.  Stir in buttermilk until just combined.  Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and with lightly floured hands, knead a few times.  Shape into a square and cut into 9 biscuits.

4.  Place on baking sheet and brush tops with melted butter.  Bake at 450˚ for 12-14 minutes, until golden brown.

4 comments:

  1. Sarah,

    I learned this tip on the interwebs a couple of months ago when I needed buttermilk. Add one tbs. of white vinegar for every cup of milk you need for your recipe and let it sit for 10-15 minutes (stir it once at the beginning). The vinegar apparently helps the milk curdle or something and it's magical. It really works. I will never buy buttermilk again! I made carrot cake with it. Anyway, just a little tip that you can hopefully use someday.

    -Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i've heard that before but I don't think I've ever actually tried it. I'm glad to hear that it actually works - thanks for sharing the tip!

      Delete

Blogging tips