Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Summer Carbonara

I used to work the worst job in the world.  That's probably an exaggeration, but most days it really didn't feel like it.

I didn't have enough work to do and I was bored more often than not.

So what I would do for about 39 hours a week was 'stumble upon' websites.  If you think Pinterest is a time-gobbler, you have no idea what kind of time that little "Stumble" button in the corner can eat up!
Oh the things you can find on the interwebs these days!  Like this!  And this!  And this!

The internet is an amazing place.  So amazing that time can just slip away from you and before you know it, it's late and you're hungry.
This pasta recipe is a perfect weeknight meal that takes less than 30 minutes to prepare.  I threw in some leftover corn and cherry tomatoes, but you can add any veggies that you have on hand or leave them out completely.  This is a no-stress meal.
SUMMER CARBONARA
Recipe from Austin!
1 lb. spaghetti
2 c. cubed pancetta, rind removed (bacon works too)
2 tsp. olive oil
1/4 c. vermouth (or dry white wine)
corn removed from 2 ears of corn
1 c. cherry tomatoes, halved
4 eggs
3/4 c. freshly grated parmesan
1/2 c. heavy cream
black pepper
nutmeg

1.  Heat a large pot of water for the pasta.

2.  In another large pan, cook the pancetta cubes in the oil until crispy.  Pour vermouth over pancetta and let it bubble away until most of the vermouth cooks out of it.  Remove the pan from the heat.  Add corn and tomatoes.

3.  In a bowl, beat together eggs, cream, parmesan and pepper.  Set aside.

4.  Cook the pasta until it is al dente.  Remove 1/2 c. pasta water before draining.

5.  Place the pancetta back on the heat, add pasta to pan (if it won't all fit into that pan, use the pan you used to cook the pasta instead).  Stir together until well combined.  Remove from heat.  Add egg, cream mixture and toss quickly.  Thin with pasta water, if needed.

*Usually, when I am combining the pasta with the egg mixture, I turn the heat back on very low if the eggs don't seem like they are cooking enough - just for about 90 seconds.

6.  Top with more fresh ground pepper and nutmeg.

4 comments:

  1. YUM, Sarah this is a keeper as well as the little cheddar meatloaves. I know what I am making for dinner the rest of the week. Thank you. I always enjoy when you post new recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mrs. Sale! I am so glad to hear that someone is actually trying out these recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Making this for dinner tonight for my Mom. It is a great recipe! Love your blog, Sarah!!!!

      Delete
    2. Let me know how everyone liked it! And thanks for always reading my blog and commenting! I love to read them :)

      Delete

Blogging tips