Friday, February 14, 2014

Shirley Temple

You probably all heard that Shirley Temple died earlier this week.  You probably knew more about her than I did.  I watched a few of her movies and I knew that she had pretty hair as a child, she became a diplomat later in life, and a sweet, tasty, non-alcoholic drink was made in her namesake.
For a long time, I didn't know that these were called Shirley Temple's.  When we would go out to eat for special occasions growing up, we would get to order them but they were called, "Kiddie Cocktails"  (which I mistakenly thought were, "Kitty Cocktails").  So, obviously a lot of things escaped me as a kiddo.

My 'Kitty Cocktails" always had to be "light on the red" as per my mom's request...I was a little bit hyperactive.  When I mixed myself a Shirley Temple the other day, it brought me right back to those dinners with my family and my grandparents.  I remember bouncing around in the seat on a serious sugar high and pretending like the fruit patterned wallpaper actually tasted like real fruit.
Now, I can see why I wasn't allowed to have as much sugar and red food coloring :)


SHIRLEY TEMPLE
crushed ice
1 c. sprite
1 tsp. grenadine
maraschino cherry

1.  Mix together ice, sprite and grenadine, then top with a cherry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips