Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Sausage and Peppers

Today, I have a really simple and satisfying meal for you that you can make either in your crockpot or on the stove.  I like to make a big batch of it so I'll have leftovers for a couple days for more sandwiches.

The next day, it's also a good idea to cut up the sausages and serve it over spaghetti.  Austin likes to put it in eggs or grits in the morning for breakfast but he makes weird/poor decisions when it comes to breakfast foods.
I like my sausage and peppers heavy on the onions and peppers part.  You need the sausage for sure, otherwise it's really just spaghetti sauce on a bun, but pile on those toppings for me!

I also make mine with the spiciest sausage I can find.  Sometimes it's hot italian, sometimes chorizo.  Again, use what you like and what you have.  There's really no strict rules when it comes to a meal like this.  Which is the way it should be in my opinion: you do what you want.

SAUSAGE & PEPPERS
6 lbs. sausage
2 large cans tomato puree
salt & pepper
basil
parsley
pinch garlic salt
3 onions
3 bell peppers
crusty rolls

1.  Bake sausage at 325˚ until done (follow package directions if there are any - mine took about 30 minutes).  Remove from oven and cut each sausage link in half.  Place in either a crockpot or large stockpot.

2.  Add tomato puree and 1 can (tomato puree can) of water to pan.  Season to taste with salt, pepper, and herbs.

3.  If cooking in a crockpot, add in sliced peppers and onions and set to low for 4-6 hours.  If cooking on the stove, sauté onions and peppers in a little olive oil until crisp tender, add to sausages just 5 minutes before serving to heat through.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips