Monday, February 17, 2014

Peanut Butter Pretzel Fudge

There was a time in my life when I crashed a book club on the reg.  I wasn't a member, I didn't really know the people in it (besides my sister), and I don't think anyone (again, besides my sister) ever knew I was coming.

While that all might sound kind of bad, or at least weird, I did read the books in preparation, I did help my sister set up and clean afterwards and I actually talked about the book.  My sister hosted all of their meetings, there were never more than three of us who had even attempted to finish the book in time, and no one brought food to share.  It wasn't a great book club.
Or it wouldn't have been, except that my sister likes to entertain and she's good at it.  She'd make all these little appetizers and set them out on the serving platters she got for her wedding.  She'd offer everyone a drink as soon as they walked in the door.  Really, just the basics, but still more than I'm used to.  

One book club meeting stuck out to me.  I don't have any clue what the book was, but I do remember the pie (duh!).  She made a peanut butter pie with a pretzel crust.  Brilliant!  Peanut butter pies (just like peanut butter fudge) is usually just a little too sweet.  Add in the salty, crunchiness of pretzels for the crust and wow!  

For only having that pie one time in my life, I spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about it.  Finally, I thought about it enough to make an adaptation with this fudge.  Maybe sometime soon I can just make the pie :)
PEANUT BUTTER PRETZEL FUDGE
For the Pretzel Crust:
2 c. thin pretzels, crushed
3 Tbsp. sugar
3/4 c. butter, melted
For the Fudge:
8 oz. butter
1 c. smooth peanut butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1 lb. powdered sugar

1.  Mix together the pretzels, sugar and butter then press into a square pan (8"x8").  Bake at 400˚ for 6-10 minutes or until golden brown.  Cool completely.

2.  In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the butter and the peanut butter.  Cover with plastic wrap and cook for 2 minutes on high.  Stir then cook for 2 more minutes.

3.  Add the vanilla and powdered sugar to the hot peanut butter mixture.  Spread onto the top of the pretzel crust.  Cover the surface of the fudge with parchment paper and cool in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips