Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Applesauce Bread (Bread Machine Recipe)

I told you a little while ago that I was going to start using my crockpot so I can eat real meals at work (as opposed to the dried apricots and pretzels that I'm having today).  Well, that hasn't quite happened yet.
Along that same vein, I really need to find my bread maker again.  I know that bread is not that hard to make by hand, but the fact is, it takes a lot more time and lot more attention.

While I really do love to knead bread and wait for it to rise, when I have the whole day to sit around at home, I also really love just having freshly baked bread with almost no work.  I also love putting all the ingredients into the bread maker and then going to the gym, showering, getting dressed and walking into the kitchen just in time to take a big, warm, steaming loaf out to cool.
The drawback to using a bread maker?  Dryness.  I don't know why it's so hard to find good bread maker recipes, but it's something I've really struggled with.  I also don't know why applesauce can make things that would normally be dry, not dry, but it seems to do the trick.  This bread has a little bit of sweetness from the applesauce, it's great with a little butter, or to make it more apple-y, I topped it with apple butter.

APPLESAUCE BREAD (Bread Maker Recipe)
1 1/3 c. applesauce
2 1/2 Tbsp. butter
1 1/3 Tbsp. sugar
1 1/3 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 c. whole wheat flour
2 c. bread flour
2 1/2 tsp. yeast

1.  In the order listed, place all ingredients into your bread machine.  Follow manufacturer's instructions for cooking time (I made this on the white bread setting for a large loaf with light crust).

2 comments:

  1. Apple butter reminded me of this....They sell Das Essenhaus noodles at Albertson's now. And you can order their apple butter online! I just looked at that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum! I don't really remember their noodles that much, but I definitely remember the apple butter!

      Delete

Blogging tips