Thursday, June 13, 2013

Vanilla Bean Madeleines

There are a lot of times when I don't have the right tools for the recipe that I want to make.  Usually, I can get around it.  Use a wooden spoon for a muddler.  A mess of knives instead of a pastry cutter.  Cookie cutter disguised as a biscuit cutter.  Whatever works.
So when Austin asked me to make these madeleines for his mom's birthday - I tried my best to figure out how to get around buying the mold.  We have a small kitchen.  A small kitchen with a disproportionate amount of gadgets, dishes, and pans.  We only have one little, skinny cabinet that will hold pans, wire racks, and cutting boards, so I have to really try not to overextend that too much.

I couldn't figure out a way to get around it.  Now I'll just have to make madeleines more often.  Just have to.
Madeleines are Austin's favorite cookies, so I'm sure he'll be happy about that.  I don't know though because he really really hates putting pans back in that skinny little cabinet.  I don't know if his hatred for that chore outweighs his love for these cookies?  I hope so.



VANILLA BEAN MADELEINES
Recipe from Completely Delicious
2/3 c. flour
3/4 tsp. baking powder
pinch of salt
1/2 c. sugar
zest of 1 lemon
1 vanilla bean
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
6 Tbsp. butter, melted and cooled

1.  Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.  Set aside.

2.  Scrape vanilla bean.  Mix vanilla seeds and lemon zest into sugar.  Set aside.

3.  Beat together sugar and eggs until light and fluffy.  Add in vanilla bean and melted butter.  Stir in flour mixture.  Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.

4.  Grease madeleine pan, fill shells until almost full.  Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes.  Cool in the pan for a few minutes, then cool the rest of the way on a wire rack. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips