Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Lemon Parsley French Fries

My mom does this thing when she eats french fries.  She eats one fry, then flicks her hand ("to get the salt off").  After every single fry.  It's weird.

I have this thing too.  I don't really like french fries.  It's weird too.  I do love sweet potato fries though. Well, I should say, "I thought I didn't like french fries."  What I really don't like are steak fries (too much potato) and fast food french fries (too much grease).  What I DO like are baked french fries.
Normally, people think of baked french fries as soggy and not as flavorful, well, think again.  These are really crunchy.  They're not too potato-y.  (It's the soaking that does it.)
Another thing about me and french fries: I really only like them if they are dipped in "fry sauce."  Fry sauce is a Utah thing.  It's literally everywhere in Utah (grocery stores, fast food restaurants, regular restaurants), but as soon as you cross the border it disappears and people look at you like you're a crazy person when you ask for it.  Essentially, it's a mixture of ketchup and mayonnaise.  Some people like to get fancy with it - I like it with a little italian seasoning.  If you're ever in Utah, you can try it for yourself (be forewarned, you'll never be able to eat a french fry without it again), or you can make it yourself.  It should be light pink/peach colored and the dried italian seasonings really do make a huge difference.
If you're making the fry sauce yourself, you might as well make the french fries too.  Baked fries are so easy and these are extra light and almost refreshing (can a french fry be refreshing?) because of the fresh parsley and lemon juice.  Obviously, they're best right out of the oven!



LEMON PARSLEY FRENCH FRIES
6-7 russet potatoes
1 c. parsley, chopped
salt
olive oil
1 lemon

1.  Peel all or part of potatoes (I left the tops unpeeled, but peeled the sides).  Cut into thin sticks.

2.  Place potatoes in a bowl filled with cold water for 10 minutes.

3.  Spread onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.  Drizzle olive oil over the top.  Sprinkle with parsley and salt.

4.  Bake at 375˚ for 45 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.

5.  Take the fries out of the oven.  Squeeze lemon over top.  Season with more salt, if needed.

12 comments:

  1. What a lovely twist on french fries! The flavors kind of remind me of a french potato salad. I always make baked fries, just because it's easier (I like them any old way).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You also don't have to worry about burning the oil and smoking up your whole house if you bake them! I think you're really going to like these flavors - let me know if you try them out.

      Thanks for stopping by, Sherri!

      Delete
  2. It's always hard to get that crunchy french fry taste when you bake them so this recipe is awesome! We're big on the mayo and ketchup here in Quebec on our fries so I know what you mean :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the soaking in cold water that makes all the difference! When I lived in Germany, they did mayo and curry ketchup - also delicious :)

      Delete
  3. I will have to make some "Fry Sauce"! And, I am going to try your way of making fries with the lemon, sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, take a trip through Utah, every single person will know what you're talking about! The lemon is good, trust me!

      Delete
  4. All my life I've combined mayo and ketchup and I'm hispanic. My parents would mix some up, put it on burgers, etc. I'm pretty sure most places have their own version of it along with a different name. I guess you just have to look for it, lol.

    Love the fries, btw. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear that everywhere else has their own "fry sauce" - I would not want anyone to miss out on it! I'm so glad you liked the fries too! Thanks for trying them out!

      Delete
  5. Good post. Baking French fries instead of frying them seems like a healthier choice. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds soooo gooooood!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting on this recipe, Alana - you reminded me that I really need to make them again! :)

      Delete

Blogging tips