Friday, June 7, 2013

Outlaw Lemonade

I don't know what I'm thinking today.  I am posting pictures of lemonade (with whiskey) and NOT pictures of doughnuts!  It's national doughnut (donut?) day today, and I LOVE doughnuts.  I mean, they're my fav.  For real.
I remember making doughnuts out of canned biscuits and then rolling them in cinnamon and sugar when they came out of the fryer.  Burning the roof of my mouth on the hot, fried dough because I couldn't wait even one minute to eat them!

I remember going to the grocery store every night (practically) the first summer that we moved to Utah for a "Dan's Donut Run!"  We would get the "texas donuts" which were the size of a dinner plate, but after seven o'clock all donuts were only a quarter!

And in my college days, I discovered this place in Salt Lake City called "Banbury Cross" and they have the best donuts.  Ever.  I've been known to frequent 'Banbury' on the reg.  The people know me there.  They make me special donuts :)  I wasn't kidding when I said they're my fav.  I actually have a very unhealthy obsession.
So why am I giving you a recipe for a cocktail?  Simple answer: I don't have a deep fryer and heating up oil on the stove scares me.  Last time I did it, I thought I was going to burn the house down.  Cocktails are much less scary - unless you drink the whole pitcher.  That can get scary too.

Please, whatever you do, do NOT drink the pitcher of this Outlaw Lemonade and then heat oil on the stove to celebrate this holiday!  It's definitely a bad idea.



OUTLAW LEMONADE
5-6 lemons
1 c. water
1 c. sugar
1 1/2 c. Jack Daniels
ice & water

1.  Juice all lemons, set aside fresh juice.

2.  Cut up the rind of one lemon, place in a medium saucepan along with 1 c. water and 1 c. sugar.  Bring to a boil over medium heat.  After the sugar is dissolved, turn off heat, strain and let cool.

3.  In a 2 quart pitcher, combine lemon simple syrup, lemon juice and Jack Daniels.  Fill pitcher with ice and water - stir well to combine.

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks for pinning!! I hope you enjoy drinking it too!

      Delete
  2. AMAZING! I've been doing a variation of this for a long time! I've been adding a little fresh mint top top it off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can someone tell me how many servings this will make?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie, this will make a 2 quart pitcher (or 8 cups). I would say you could serve 4 people with each pitcher - just pour it over ice! Let me know what you think!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Hi Courtney,

      You'll add as much ice and water as it takes to fill the pitcher. Usually, I'll make it about 30-45 minutes before serving, so I fill it mostly with ice. It will melt to dilute the sourness of the lemon juice.

      Hope you like it!
      Sarah

      Delete
  6. What would be the recipe if I want to multiply it to 3 gallons?

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips