Monday, June 24, 2013

Fresh Berry Trifles

I could not be more excited for 4th of July, I mean really, it's not possible.

I've always loved this holiday.  Ever since participating in our neighborhood parade, it's held a soft spot in my heart.  I remember decking out my 10-speed with crepe paper and streamers and cruising around the loop.  We would watch fireworks out on the boat most years.
One year, we got to set off fireworks in our own backyard.  It was supposed to be really fun.  It ended up being a serious fire hazard.  It's all a little hazy (since I was like 6 years old), but what I do remember is my mom shoving me out of the way when the firework started shooting sparks in the wrong direction (toward the house) so she could get to safety.  She's a 'survivor.' :)
Since my crepe paper days, things have gotten a little bigger and a little more alcohol-driven.  Now, we head up to Main Street with some of Austin's "Special Lemonade," to watch the parade, meander from house party to house party.  End up at home for a barbecue and then make our way back uptown to watch the fireworks.  It's a full day's worth of festivities and I love every second of it.  That's why I am so excited because this year we are headed back home again.
To get super pumped, I made these trifles last week.  If you're having people over for a barbecue, make these.  You can even make them ahead of time and put each one in a smaller mason jar, seal them up and just take them out when you're ready.  When you're having people over, let's be real, you have to impress.  I don't know anything that impresses people more than homemade whipped cream AND homemade vanilla pudding!  You're welcome. :)


FRESH BERRY TRIFLES
For the Vanilla Pudding:
3/4 c. sugar
3 Tbsp. cornstarch
3 c. whole milk
4 egg yolks, beaten
1 Tbsp. butter
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
For the Shortcake:
1/4 c. sugar
2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 c. butter
1 egg, beaten
2/3 c. milk
For the Whipped Cream
1 c. heavy whipping cream
1/4 c. +/- sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
fresh strawberries (sliced) and blueberries

1.  In a medium saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch.  Add in milk.  Cook over medium heat until thickened and bubbly.  Continue cooking for 2 more minutes.

2.  Stir 1 c. of milk mixture into egg yolks, then add egg yolks to remaining milk mixture in saucepan.  Return to boil, reduce heat.  Cook over low heat for 2 more minutes.  Remove from heat.

3.  Stir in butter and vanilla.  Transfer to a bowl.  Cover with plastic wrap (place it directly on top of the pudding to prevent a skin from forming), refrigerate until cooled.

4.  Prepare the shortcake: combine sugar, flour and baking powder.  Cut butter into flour mixture, until it resembles coarse crumbs.

5.  Beat together milk and egg, add to flour mixture.  Mix together just until all of the flour is moistened, do not overstir.  Spread into a greased 8" round cake pan.  Bake at 450˚ for 15-18 minutes.

6.  Right before you are ready to serve, make your whipped cream.  Beat heavy whipping cream.  Before the cream gets too thick, add in your sugar and vanilla.  Continue beating until it reaches the desired consistency.

7.  Assemble trifles: layer shortcake, pudding, and berries (in that order) for one or two layers.  After the last layer of berries, add a dollop of whipped cream!

4 comments:

  1. I would like to see some of these next week when you are home! I think that would be a perfect pre-firework snack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're going to be eating a lot if I make all of the things that you're requesting!

      Delete
    2. That's okay - it's the 4th of July - it's an eating holiday kind of like Thanksgiving.

      Delete
    3. I would say it's more of a drinking holiday! I guess bbqs are pretty big though too.

      Delete

Blogging tips