Monday, January 5, 2015

Roasted Red Pepper Flavored Pasta

Usually, I am totally content traveling around the American Southwest camping, climbing and hiking.  Usually, that satisfies my intense feelings of wanderlust.

Not now though.
Now, I just want go somewhere totally different from here.  I want to be around people who speak a different language than me.  I want to eat foods that I can't get at home (or in my camp stove).

South America would fulfill my needs.  Europe would do the trick.  Anywhere really.  I just want to go.

I'd love to be sitting in an Italian restaurant (in Italy), eating plate after plate of fresh pasta.  I want the mystery of not totally knowing what I ordered and not understanding the conversations around me except for the random word or two.
You can try to recreate the feeling at home, but it will never be the same.  That's not to say that homemade pasta isn't good.  Just not the same.  But until we can make it back to Europe, this will have to do.

ROASTED RED PEPPER FLAVORED PASTA
1 c. semolina flour
1 c. all purpose flour
pinch salt
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 egg
1 pepper, roasted and pureed

1.  On a clean working surface, mix together flours and salt.  Make a well in the center of the flour and pour in the olive oil and egg.

2.  Gradually start to incorporate the eggs and oil in the flour mixture, kneading as you go.  Add in the pepper puree about 1 tablespoon at a time until the dough comes together.  Form a ball.

3.  Roll the dough (in small sections) through the pasta maker then cut into the shape you want.

4.  Hang on a pasta drying rack.

5.  To cook, drop pasta into salted boiling water and cook until the noodles float to the top (2-4 minutes).  Drain and serve with your favorite sauce.

4 comments:

  1. What kind of sauce would you use with this? I never know what to use with flavored pastas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christy, I would probably do an alfredo sauce (because I love alfredo on everything), but you could also just sauté some fresh veggies (zucchini, squash, broccoli...anything really) in olive oil and pour that over the top. This roasted red pepper alfredo sauce sounds pretty amazing too: http://damndelicious.net/2013/12/02/roasted-red-pepper-alfredo/ Do you have pasta-making plans for this weekend?! -Sarah

      Delete
    2. I have been trying to eat light to recover from the holidays, but I may make some gnocchi this weekend, perhaps with sweet potatoes...

      Delete
    3. That sounds amazing, Christy! If you're going for a lighter option, I'd try sautéing fresh veggies in olive oil (maybe a little red pepper flakes) to serve on top of this pasta then...but alfredo is really good and worth all the guilt ;) xo Sarah

      Delete

Blogging tips