Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Austin's Rice Pudding

I recently read Amy Poehler’s book, “Yes, Please,” and I hated it. I don’t usually hate books either.

I honestly can’t pick out one single thing that I liked about the book.  I can pick out something I didn’t like though.  I didn’t like that she complained for a large portion of the book about how she didn’t want to write the book.  Personally, I think she would have done us all a favor, if she listened to her gut and stopped there.

That’s why I’m determined not to write here about how hard it can be to write.  Just know that it can be hard.  But also know that I love to do it and I am grateful to be able to do it. 
Also, I like to read books that are worthwhile and so far in 2015 I’m 0 for 2.  I rarely give books 1 star reviews (in Goodreads), but that’s 2 in a row!

The only other thing that gets to me quite as much as a bad book is when I have a kitchen fail.  That’s when I have to let Austin take over.  That’s when he makes delicious rice pudding for dessert with the leftover rice from his ‘biking snacks.’  I do the dishes…maybe ;) and all is right in the world again.

AUSTIN'S RICE PUDDING
1 1/2 c. cooked white rice
2 c. milk, divided
1/3 c. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 egg, beaten
1 Tbsp. butter
1/2 tsp. vanilla
cinnamon and/or nutmeg, optional

1.  Combine rice, 1 1/2 c. milk, sugar and salt in a medium saucepan.  Cook over medium heat for about 15 to 20 minutes (until thick and creamy).

2.  Stir in remaining 1/2 c. milk and egg and cook for 2 minutes more.  Stir constantly to avoid scalding and cooking the egg unevenly.

3.  Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla.  Sprinkle with cinnamon and/or nutmeg to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips