Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Creamy Chicken Apple Chili

Yesterday, I turned 27.  It's not exactly a momentous birthday, but at the same time, I didn't really like it.

At 27, there's no getting around it, you're in your late twenties.  You'll soon be 30.  People have some serious expectations for you at this point.  No more 'figuring it all out.'
Of course, there are some people that will tell you that you have your whole life to figure it out and you should just have fun and never worry and be happy, and well...wouldn't that be great.  At least for me, it's not quite that easy.  It's not easy to not have it figured out.  It's not easy answering the hard questions like, "What do you want to be?" or "Where do you see yourself in 5, 10, 15 years?"
No one likes to be asked those questions.  Even if you're feeling good about your decisions or your plan, it makes you feel like you should reassess.  Most often, the person has no clue so they just make something up on the spot that sounds good.  (I know, because that's what I do.)

On any given day, the only thing I usually know about the future is what I'm going to eat that night.  And that's only because I'm a neurotic lister/meal-planner.  But that does give me at least some semblance of having a handle on things.

Making my own soups and stews makes me feel more like a grown up.  And since I like chili, maybe becoming an adult isn't so bad?  I don't know...I'm still figuring it all out.

CREAMY CHICKEN APPLE CHILI
1/4 c. olive oil, divided
2 lbs. chicken, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
4 tsp. chili powder
2 tsp. cumin
salt & pepper
2 apples, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 onion, chopped
4 Tbsp. butter
1/4 c. flour
2 c. chicken broth
3/4 c. milk
2 - 15 oz. cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
2 c. shredded monterey jack cheese
toasted tortillas for serving (optional)
chopped scallions for garnish (optional)

1.  In a large stockpot heat 2 Tbsp. olive oil over medium-high heat.  Add the chicken, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper.  Cook for about 5 minutes or until the chicken is done all the way through.  Transfer to a bowl and set aside.

2.  In the same stockpot, heat the remaining olive oil.  Add in the apples and onion and cook, stirring, until softened (about 6 minutes).  Add to the chicken.

3.  In the same stockpot, melt the butter over medium-low heat.  Whisk in the flour for 1 minute then whisk in the chicken broth and milk until thickened (about 3 minutes).

4.  Stir in the chicken apple mixture then add the drained pinto beans.  Bring to a simmer.  Stir in the cheese. Garnish with tortillas and scallions to serve.

2 comments:

  1. I feel ya, girl! I'm turning 28 this year. It totally freaks me out... I mean, I'm still trying to figure everything out!! By the way, your food photography (and recipes!) are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Laki! I'm always learning and trying to improve. I'm glad I'm not the only one figuring life out still! I'm sure we'll both be fine though :) xo Sarah

      Delete

Blogging tips