Monday, December 1, 2014

Mocha Yule Log

It seems like I just can't get away from people that 'don't like pie.'  And I don't get it.  And really, I don't like that kind of talk towards pie.

To me, it's kind of like saying, 'I don't like vegetables,' or any other major food group.  I mean, have you tried all the types?

And don't tell me you don't like crust, because there are lots of types of crust.  Also, what part is it that offends your tastebuds?  The flakey, buttery, slightly sweet delicious part?
Every Thanksgiving we have the 'pie debate' and every year I come away baffled.  My confusion only heightens when people compare pie to cake.  They are totally different!  You cannot compare the two.  You just can't.

If you don't like cake either, you better just leave now.

I make a yule log every year and it's good.  Not to brag or anything, but it's really good.  The only problem is that it doesn't always turn out.  I can't quite figure out why it cracks some years and others it's fine, but that's what happens.  So then I have to turn it into a trifle.  Also delicious.

This year, I thought I'd try out a new recipe to see if it would roll into that perfect shape better and still taste amazing - and well, it did.  (I swear, I'm really a pretty humble person.)

MOCHA YULE LOG
Recipe from Taste of Home
For the Cake:
5 eggs, separated
1 c. sugar, divided
1/2 c. cake flour
1/4 c. cocoa powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
For the Mocha Cream Filling:
1 c. whipping cream
1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 1/2 tsp. instant coffee
For the Frosting:
1/3 c. butter, softened
1/3 c. cocoa powder
2 c. powdered sugar
pinch salt
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 Tbsp. brewed coffee
2-3 Tbsp. milk

1.  Separate eggs and place whites in a small bowl to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.

2.  Beat egg yolks until light and fluffy.  Slowly, stir in 1/2 c. sugar then continue beating until thick and lemon-colored.  Gradually add flour, cocoa and salt until blended.

3.  Beat egg whites until foamy.  Add cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks form.  Very slowly, add remaining 1/2 c. sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.

4.  Stir 1/4 of the egg white mixture into the egg yolk mixture, then fold in the remaining egg whites.

5.  Spread batter evenly in a jelly roll pan lined with parchment paper that has been greased.  Bake at 350˚ for 12-15 minutes.  Cool for 5 minutes then turn out onto a clean towel dusted with powdered sugar.  Peel off parchment paper and roll up into a towel (start with short side).  Cool completely on a wire rack.

6.  For the filling: beat whipping cream until soft peaks form.  Add in sugar and instant coffee and continue beating until stiff peaks form.

7.  Unroll cake.  Spread whipped cream over the cake (do not go all the way to the edges or else it will just spill out when you roll it up).  Gently roll the cake back up.  Place on a serving platter and chill.

8.  For the frosting: beat together butter, cocoa powder, powdered sugar, salt, vanilla and coffee.  Gradually add in the milk until it reaches a smooth, spreading consistency.

9.  Ice the entire cake then run the knife down the length of it to make the 'bark.'  Cool until ready to serve.

2 comments:

  1. Sarah, I believe you are talking about me and the pie thing.
    Grandma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, yes. But also, Reed and his mom 'don't like pie,' so it's not just you :)

      Delete

Blogging tips