Monday, December 22, 2014

Cranberry Eggnog French Toast

For the past couple months I've really been enjoying a healthy dose of eggnog in my morning coffee.  I used to think I hated that, but apparently I was wrong because when I tried it again this year, I slurped it down.  Now, I'm already dreading the day they pull the nog from the shelves.

When I was a tot, I hated eggnog in general.

I really wanted to like it, mostly because my cousin, Beth (who I thought was the coolest person in the entire world), drank it.  And I tried.  I really did, but the stuff is pretty weird.  It's so thick that it feels like you're drinking straight whipping cream and the flavor is not exactly kid-friendly.
So if you're still on the fence about the nog, I get it.  I don't even blame you and I probably won't even make you try it again.

Even if you're not the biggest fan of eggnog, this overnight french toast recipe is pretty mild.  And because eggnog is already sweet, you don't have to add any extra sugar like other overnight french toast recipes.

Even though the taste of the eggnog is mild, that, in combination with the cinnamon and fresh cranberries, makes it a perfect dish for Christmas morning!  Did I mention, you can make it the night before?!
CRANBERRY EGGNOG FRENCH TOAST
2 c. eggnog
2 tsp. cinnamon
5 eggs
1 loaf slightly stale french bread
1/2 c. cranberries

1.  Whisk together eggnog, cinnamon and eggs.

2.  Cut the loaf of bread into 1" slices.  Dip each slice into the custard mixture then place in a greased 9x13" casserole dish. Pour any remaining custard over the bread.

3.  Sprinkle cranberries over the top and tuck some under and in between the slices of bread.

4.  Place in the fridge for at least 1 hour or overnight.

5.  Bake at 350˚ for 30-35 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips