Thursday, December 18, 2014

7 Up Salad

In case you didn't know this about me, I'm from Utah.  Technically, I lived in Indiana until I was 11, but since I would never be able to find my childhood house without a GPS, I don't really consider that home.

I feel like I am really from Utah.  It's where I went to middle school, high school and college.  It's where I learned to love the outdoors and where I got married on a cliff edge.

And in Utah, we love our green Jell-O.  Actually, I don't know if that's at all true, but that is the stereotype and I'm just going to go with it.  So it's just a little bit ironic that this recipe is not something my family found upon our migration to the West, but rather something we brought with us from the Midwest.
Doesn't really matter where it's from.  It's delicious.  A little weird, yes.  And yes, you'll probably get strange looks the first time you serve it.  But remember, it is delicious.  We've been having it as part of our Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners for as long as I can remember, and now you're welcome to add it to your spread!

7 UP SALAD
Recipe from Grandma Flinn
1 large box lime Jell-O
2 c. boiling water
1 c. cold water
1 c. cold 7-Up
1 c. crushed pineapple, drained with juice reserved
2 bananas, sliced
2 c. mini marshmallows
For the Topping:
1/2 c. sugar
2 Tbsp. flour
1 beaten egg
2 Tbsp. butter
1 c. prepared Dream Whip

1.  Mix together lime Jell-O, boiling water, cold water and 7-Up.  Once the Jell-O is partially set, stir in bananas and drained pineapple (reserve the pineapple juice).

2.  Boil reserved pineapple juice, sugar, flour and egg until thick.  Stir in butter and cool. Stir in prepared Dream Whip then spread on top of Jell-O.

3.  Cool completely in the refrigerator until ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips