Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Butternut Squash Kale Gnocchi

A few years ago, I got a set of nice pots and pans.  They were kind of an impulse buy back when Austin and I had 'real jobs' and, you know, money.

They're stainless and if you scratch them with a fork, you won't die form the Teflon.
And Austin hates them.  It's not the even cooking that he hates.  It's the cleaning.  So he doesn't use them at all.  Instead he has 2 pans - one small non-stick pan and a cast-iron skillet.  If it can't be cooked in one of those, it's probably not going to be cooked.

I guess some of his enthusiasm for 'his' pans has rubbed off, because now, I love it when I can make a whole meal in the cast-iron skillet (although this meal will work in any oven safe skillet).

Plus, one pan to clean up!  It can't get better than that!

BUTTERNUT SQUASH KALE GNOCCHI
1/2 medium butternut squash
4 Tbsp. butter, divided
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. fresh sage, chopped
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
salt
1 1/4 c. chicken broth (substitute vegetable broth or water to make it vegetarian-friendly)
1 bunch kale, stemmed and chopped
17.5 oz. gnocchi
3/4 c. grated parmesan, divided

1.  Peel and seed your butternut squash then cut into 1/2 inch pieces.

2.  Melt 2 Tbsp. butter in a large, oven-safe skillet.  Add the squash and cook until soft (about 8 minutes).  Add garlic, sage, red pepper flakes and salt.  Cook until garlic is tender.

3.  Preheat broiler (high).

4.  Add broth (or water) to the skillet and bring to a simmer.  Stir in the kale and cook for about 2 minutes - the kale will start to wilt.

5.  Stir in the gnocchi, cover and cook 5 minutes, or until the gnocchi are tender.  Uncover, melt in 1/4 c. of the parmesan cheese and the remaining 2 Tbsp. butter.

6.  Sprinkle remaining 1/2 c. parmesan cheese over the top and set under the broiler until bubbly and the cheese is golden.

6 comments:

  1. Well done! I fed this to my group of college students and they raved. One said "you really stepped up your game." it was tasty. Thanks for your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha that is amazing! I'm so glad you all liked it - it's definitely one of my favorite weeknight meals I've made in a long time :) -Sarah

      Delete
  2. What kind of Gnocchi did you use bad experience last time and have been terrified to try anything since

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rebecca! I used a package from World Market. It was actually parmesan flavored. Do you have a World Market near you? What kind did you use last time that you didn't like?
      -Sarah

      Delete
  3. Sarah - Allie W. and I have become obsessed with this recipe! It is the perfect meal for after work because it is so simple and tasty. I am making it for book club tomorrow night and will make sure to tell everyone to check out your blog for the recipe.

    Hope you and Austin are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jenny! I'm really glad you like the recipe - it's one of my favorites that I've made for the blog too. (And thanks for helping me out with my PR!) Things are going well with us - how are you doing? xo Sarah

      Delete

Blogging tips