Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Strawberry Overnight Oats

For the past few months, I have been working in retail.  That meant that the earliest I have to be to work was 10 a.m. and more often than not, I was working evenings so I really had no pressing reason to jump out of bed in the morning.  On Monday, I started a new job and now I have to be to the office at 8 a.m. with a 40 minute commute.

I've mentioned before that I'm a morning person and that's true.  It's just that the transition is tough.  Now, instead of choosing to get up early and go for a run, or get a head start on my chores, I have to get up.
And in the mornings, I feel like I'm scrambling.  The type of scrambling where you run out the door with a coffee mug sloshing all over your hand and you throw a granola bar in your purse and call it breakfast.  Not exactly a breakfast of champions.

So, during this transition period, I'm thinking overnight oats are going to be my saving grace.  They are exactly what the name suggests: you make them before you go to bed, wake up and eat them.  I get easily bored with foods and like to mix it up, so I'll be switching out the toppings (think: almond butter, nuts, bananas, Nutella, cookie butter, sunflower seeds, honey, ....), but the base ingredients stay the same.
STRAWBERRY OVERNIGHT OATS (makes 1 jar)
2/3 c. rolled oats
2/3 c. milk
2/3 c. yogurt (I used vanilla, use whatever you have)
1 banana
1 Tbsp. chia seeds
pinch salt
pinch cinnamon
strawberries, sliced
crunchy granola

1.  Mix oats, milk yogurt, banana, chia seeds, salt and cinnamon together in a bowl.  Make sure you mash up the banana well so the mixture is smooth.

2.  Pour into a jar, seal, and store in the fridge overnight.

3.  In the morning, top with sliced strawberries and crunchy granola to add some freshness and some nice crunchy texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips