Friday, July 25, 2014

Happy Hour: Muddled Monarch

This cocktail has my favorite liqueur in it (at least my favorite, so far!).  St. Germain!  It’s an elderflower liqueur.  

I’m going to let you in on a little secret that might make you never want to read my blog again: I can’t describe the flavor to you.  I know that makes me the worst food blogger in the world and I’m pretty sure describing food & drinks is like #1 in terms of things you should be able to do…but I can’t.  
Honestly, I don’t even know what an Elderflower is. 

So, I cheated.  I googled Elderflowers and St. Germain and I found out that the people that make it (in France) use bicycles to transport the flowers to the plant!!

Yep, definitely my favorite liqueur.  

All you need to know is it tastes good.  It’s a little bit sweet, but not so sweet that you’ll need aspirin in the morning (no guarantee here since I can’t predict how many you’re going to drink - trust me, it’s hard to stop).  


Mix it with tart grapefruit and fragrant mint and you have the Muddled Monarch!
MUDDLED MONARCH
3 slices grapefruit
4 mint leaves
1/2 oz. lemon juice
1 heaping tsp. powdered sugar
2 oz. gin
1 oz. St. Germain (elderflower liqueur)
tonic water

1.  Muddle grapefruit, mint, lemon juice and powdered sugar together in the bottom of a glass.

2.  Add gin and St. Germain, stir well.

3.  Fill glass with ice, top with tonic water.  Stir again to combine.

4.  Garnish with a sprig of mint and a slice of grapefruit.

2 comments:

  1. I wouldn't worry too much! Your stunning pictures do an amazing job at describing your drink! It looks and sounds delicious. Love fresh mint in cocktails! Loving this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Anna! I have a feeling you're really going to like this one!

      Delete

Blogging tips