Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Coconut Poke Cake with Berries and Cream

Of all of the details that go into planning a wedding, I thought cake testing was going to be the easiest and most fun by far.  It probably still has been the most fun, but it hasn't necessarily been easy.

A few things have made this process harder than it should be.  The first being that my fiancee is living two states away right now.  The second thing getting in my way is that I think I might be just a teensy weensy bit picky when it comes to my cake.
What it all boils down to is that homemade cake tastes better than store- or bakery-bought cake.  Period. 

Cake should be light and fluffy and made with only real ingredients that you can pronounce and spell.  Cake should be seriously hard to resist.  Icing should also be light and not so sweet that it makes your teeth hurt or itch.  

Told you I'm picky, but I won't accept that I'm asking for too much.  If I can make this coconut poke cake with all of the features of a good cake, then someone who gets paid to bake all day long should surely be able to do the same.  
If you've ever had a tres leches cake before, this cake has the same moist texture.  I've added coconut milk to give it a more refreshing flavor and of course topped it with fresh, summer berries and homemade whipped cream!  On second thought, maybe I will make my own wedding cake. ;)

COCONUT POKE CAKE w/BERRIES & CREAM
3/4 c. butter, softened
1 3/4 c. sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 c. flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/4 c. milk
1 can coconut milk
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 c. cream
whipped cream
berries

1.  Beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add in eggs one at a time then stir in vanilla.

2.  In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.  Alternate adding the dry ingredients and the milk to the butter mixture until just combined.

3.  Pour into a greased 9x13" cake pan and bake at 375˚ for 30 minutes (knife test).

4.  While the cake is baking, whisk together coconut milk, sweetened condensed milk and cream.

5.  Remove cake from oven and cool in the pan, on a wire rack for 5 minutes.  After the 5 minutes, poke holes all over the top of the cake with the end of a wooden spoon.  Pour 1/2 to 3/4 of the coconut milk mixture over the cake (pour as much of the coconut cream as the cake will absorb).

6.  Cool completely then transfer to the refrigerator until ready to serve.  Top with berries and whipped cream to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips