Monday, July 21, 2014

S'Mores Pie

If I was Oprah and I was hosting a 'my favorite things' show, somehow I would have to figure out how to package a campfire.  It's definitely in my top 10.

I love the smell of it, its bug repellent properties, mindlessly staring at it, and the crackling noises.  
If I don't get to go camping and sit by the fire at least once every 6 weeks in the warmer months, I start to get antsy.  Really, really antsy.  

Since my camping partner is gone and I think I would get a little paranoid sleeping by myself in a tent, I'm going bonkers!
I haven't figured out how to package the campfire experience yet, and the closest thing I could come up with was a s'mores pie.  

I know it's not the same, but it's the best I could do, people!

This pie is sweet!  Like a s'more, but more so.  The chocolate filling is rich and the marshmallow topping is fluffy and creamy.  That being said, a thin slice will most likely be enough.  In other words, you only have to make one of these pies to serve a crowd!  
S'MORES PIE
For the Crust: 
2 c. graham cracker crumbs (about 16 halves)
1/4 c. light brown sugar
1 stick butter, melted
For the Chocolate Filling: 
5 egg yolks (reserve whites for marshmallow topping)
6 Tbsp. sugar
3 Tbsp. cornstarch
1/4 tsp. salt
2 c. whole milk
1 tsp. vanilla
7 oz. bittersweet chocolate, melted
2 1/2 Tbsp. butter, cubed, at room temperature
For the Marshmallow Topping:
6 egg whites
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

1.  Prepare the graham cracker crust: In a medium bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, melted butter and brown sugar.  Press into a pie dish (cover the bottom completely and work up the sides about a half inch).  Bake at 350˚ for 6-8 minutes.  Cool completely.

2.  Next prepare the chocolate filling.  In a heatproof bowl (the bowl for your Kitchenaid stand mixer works well), whisk together egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch and salt until light in texture and color.  Set aside.

3.  In a medium saucepan, bring the milk to a boil.  Temper the egg yolks with the hot milk.

4.  Create a double boiler with a saucepan and the bowl holding the egg yolk mixture.  Whisk the egg yolk mixture over heat constantly until thickened (~5-7 minutes).

5.  Remove from heat then stir in vanilla and melted chocolate.  Let stand for about 2 minutes to cool slightly then stir in the butter.  Place plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the pudding and cool on the counter until it reaches room temperature.

6.  Once cooled, pour into prepared crust and again place plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the pudding.  Refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight.

7.  For the marshmallow topping: In a large heatproof bowl (again, I used my Kitchenaid bowl), mix together egg whites, cream of tartar and sugar.  Create a double boiler and whisk egg whites constantly until sugar is completely dissolved and egg whites are warm.

8.  Add in vanilla, then beat the egg whites on high speed until stiff peaks form.

9.  Pile marshmallow topping in the center of the chocolate filling then spread out towards the edges.  Make big swirls in the marshmallow using your spatula.

10.  The fun part!  Turn your blowtorch on and carefully (without burning) brown the topping.*

*If you do not have a blowtorch, you can put the pie under the broiler on the highest setting just until browned.  Make sure that you watch carefully!  After you take it out of the broiler put it back in the refrigerator to cool the crust and filling again.

2 comments:

  1. i am SO craving a slice of this right now.. looks wickedly delicious. love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Thalia! Having dessert this weekend?! :)

      Delete

Blogging tips