Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Peanut Butter Pie with Pretzel Crust

I'm pretty skeptical of people who "don't like pie."  Especially, when it's just a blanket statement like that.  There are so many types: fruit, cream, nut, savory, chess...  I just feel like they haven't really thought it through.  Or maybe they haven't had homemade pie.


I'm on the other end of the spectrum.  I'm not picky at all.  However, I will say that I recently had a bad pie!  I guess if this was the only pie experience I'd ever had, I'd be tempted to say, "I don't like pie," too.

Some flavor combinations are best not experimented with.  Pineapple cherry pie with a sweet crumble topping is one of them.  It was overwhelmingly sweet!  Like, inedible sweet.
I love sweets (obviously), but they have to be balanced.  The sweet, creamy peanut butter filling of this pie is perfectly matched with a salty pretzel crust.  So, if you've had a negative pie experience, please just give it another go.
PEANUT BUTTER PIE w/PRETZEL CRUST
Recipe from Rachael Ray
For the Crust:
2 c. pretzel sticks
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
6 Tbsp. butter, melted
For the Filling:
3 Tbsp. butter, softened
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/2 c. peanut butter
1/4 c. brown sugar
1 c. heavy cream
1 tsp. vanilla

1.  Prepare the crust: crush pretzel sticks (using a food processor by placing them in a plastic bag and rolling them with a rolling pin.  In a medium bowl, mix together melted butter, brown sugar, salt, and pretzels.  Press into a 9" pie pan all along the bottom and the sides.  Bake at 350˚ for 18 minutes.  Remove from the oven and cool completely.

2.  Prepare the filling: beat together butter, cream cheese and peanut butter until fluffly.  Beat in brown sugar.  Set aside.

3.  In a medium bowl, whip heavy cream and vanilla until soft peaks form.  Fold into peanut butter mixture.  Spread into prepared pie crust, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips