Monday, April 28, 2014

Low Sodium Corn Chowder

This morning when I woke up, I looked out the window like I do every morning, but this time, the ground was covered in 4 inches of snow.  Sure, I live in a ski town, I'm used to snow.  That doesn't mean I have to be excited about snow when we are rapidly approaching May.

So...I guess we're not done with soup season yet.  I love soup, I just also love fresh fruits and veggies and barbecues.  I suppose there's a time for everything.

This particular soup is made with dietary restrictions in mind.  Austin's got a lot of allergies so I'm somewhat used to cooking while keeping accommodations in mind, but when I cook for Austin's parents, now I have to also think about the amount of sodium I use.
Austin's dad is on a low sodium diet and I'll admit sodium was something that I never ever looked at before.  If you do start looking, you'll notice that they put salt in everything.  Literally.  This recipe for corn chowder is low on sodium, but not on flavor - a tough task, believe me.


LOW SODIUM CORN CHOWDER (serves 6)
3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 clove garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
2 c. low-sodium organic chicken broth
3 potatoes, peeled and diced
2 c. frozen corn
1 c. milk
1 c. cream
pepper to taste
cheese for garnish

1.  Melt butter in a large stockpot.  Add garlic and onion and sauté until translucent.

2.  Add chicken broth and potatoes to pot.  Simmer until the potatoes are cooked (about 45 minutes).  With a potato masher, mash the potatoes a little bit - it will still be somewhat chunky.

3.  Add in corn and simmer until cooked through (~2-3 minutes).  Season with pepper and any other herbs that you like.  Ladle into bowls and top with a little shredded cheese (check the specific cheese for sodium amounts).

2 comments:

  1. Sarah, I'm going to try this soup. It sounds delicious!
    Enjoy the beach!
    Grandma D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not going to lie, I added some salt to my bowl, but your son-in-law appreciated me leaving it out of the whole pot!

      Delete

Blogging tips