Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Angel Food Cake

I've never touched a buffalo before but I think about it a lot.  I like to imagine what it would feel like to sink my fingers into buffalo fur.  Maybe I think about this because I really like Yellowstone and I really like buffalo, or maybe it's just because I'm a weirdo.

Whatever the reason, I always thought that their thick fur would have the same texture of angel food cake.  For that reason, I call it buffalo cake (re: weirdo).
I get it if you don't like to associate your food with animals' fur, so you can just skip to the recipe.  Lets talk about the texture of this cake a little bit more though.  It is light and a little spongy in the middle and then it's got that perfect sugary crust on top.  I like to top it with fresh berries, maybe some whipped cream too.

Angel food cake would be a perfect spring dessert to have after your Easter dinner this Sunday.  I ain't sayin', I'm just sayin'.

ANGEL FOOD CAKE
Recipe from Better Homes & Gardens checkered cookbook
1 1/2 c. egg whites (10-12 large eggs)
1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 c. flour
1 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. granulated sugar

1.  After separating your eggs, allow the whites to sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes.  Meanwhile, sift together powdered sugar and flour (should do this 3 times, I'm lazy and only do it once).

2.  Add cream of tartar and vanilla to egg whites then transfer to a stand mixer.  Beat on medium speed until soft peaks form.  Slowly, add granulated sugar until stiff peaks form.

3.  Fold in powdered sugar/flour mixture 1/4th at a time.

4.  Pour into an ungreased tub pan - cut through the batter with a knife a few times to remove air bubbles.

5.  Bake at 350˚ for 40-45 minutes.  Invert cake by resting the center of the tube pan on a wine bottle (or any other bottle) and leave there until cooled.  Cut around the edges of the pan to remove the cake.

2 comments:

  1. And not only is it the perfect spring dessert, it's a cake that is good for you with all of those egg whites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true...it's practically a health food!

      Delete

Blogging tips