Monday, April 14, 2014

Cinnamon Sugar Rice Pudding

Whenever I have toast with cinnamon and sugar on it, it reminds me of the summer we first moved to Utah.  I was 11 and my sister was 15.  We were both angry to be uprooted to say the least.

My sister was particularly upset because "all we ate was toast!"  Obviously, that's a little bit of an exaggeration, but in truth it wasn't that much of a stretch.  I bet we went through a loaf of bread every other day.  My carb-loving started at a young age so I loved it.  Darcie didn't.
Whenever I have pudding, I think of staying home from school sick.  It also brings me back to the days I had to go to the orthodontist and my teeth hurt so badly, I couldn't eat solid foods for the rest of the day.  Surprisingly, these aren't really bad memories.  It meant I got to stay home with my mom, watching movies and napping.

When you combine cinnamon sugar toast and pudding, you get quite the case of nostalgia.  For me, anyway.

CINNAMON SUGAR RICE PUDDING
Recipe adapted from Joy the Baker Cookbook
2 c. water
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/4 c. sticky rice
2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 c. cream
1 1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 Tbsp. butter
For the topping:
1 tsp. cinnamon
3 Tbsp. sugar

1.  In a medium saucepan, bring the water to a boil.  Add in rice and salt, return to a boil, cover and reduce heat to a simmer.  Cook until all the water is absorbed (about 20 minutes).  Transfer rice to a bowl.

2.  In the same saucepan, warm the milk, sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla over low heat.  Add the rice back to the pot.  Continue cooking until the milk cooks down and the pudding gets a nice, creamy texture.  Add in the butter and stir until combined.  (It will solidify more when you remove it from the heat, so do not let it get too dry on the stove.)

3.  Mix together cinnamon and sugar for the topping and sprinkle over each serving.

2 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! I think rice pudding would inspire some nostalgia in myself too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you make some soon then, June! Happy Friday!

      Delete

Blogging tips