Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Red Velvet Pancakes

Maybe it's because we were never allowed to have bright, food-coloring-loaded foods as kids, but I am not a fan of red velvet cake.  I can pretty much guarantee you that I will never purchase a cake or cupcake that's chocolate flavored but somehow red colored.  Especially not with cream cheese frosting.  It might be one of the very few desserts I would flat out refuse.

However, Austin really likes it.  And in an effort to be nice, I made him some red velvet pancakes for Valentine's Day this year.  See, I can be nice.
To my surprise, they were actually really good.  Granted, I left out about 2/3 of the red food dye, but you can make them the way you like.

They are really chocolatey which I personally have no problem with first thing in the morning, but you could even make these for dessert if you like your sweets later in the day.  I don't think I'll be making these all the time, but every once in a while...maybe special occasions or when I feel like being extra nice :)

RED VELVET PANCAKES
2 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
6 Tbsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. cocoa powder
2 eggs
1 c. buttermilk
1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. sour cream
2 tsp. red food coloring (I used about 2/3 tsp. so adjust as you like)
1 Tbsp. vanilla
1/2 c. chocolate chips

1.  In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar and cocoa powder.

2.  In another mixing bowl, beat together eggs, buttermilk, sour cream, red food coloring and vanilla.  Stir into dry ingredients until just combined (there will still be clumps of the flour mixture).

3.  Stir in chocolate chips.

4.  Heat a large skillet and use nonstick cooking spray between each set of pancakes you make.  Pour 1/4 cupfuls of batter at a time and flip once the top is covered in bubbles.  Cook the second side until nicely browned.

5.  Top with butter and maple syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips