Thursday, March 13, 2014

Blueberry Bread (Bread Machine Recipe)

This afternoon, after I get off work, Austin and I are headed down to Moab (Utah) to run our first half marathon!  We've been training for a few months now and I feel pretty confident that I'll be able to finish before the cutoff time, but that's about where my confidence ends.
I've never been a runner before and I've only done one race before (a 10k in Boulder last year), and unfortunately, I think this might be my last long race.  Not because the running is so bad, but because it takes so much time!  We've been running about 5-6 hours a week for the past couple months and I just don't want to invest that kind of time into it anymore.

One thing that really helped me get through the training was listening to books on tape.  I think it was Emma from the A Beautiful Mess blog who gave me the idea first.  In about 2 weeks, you can listen to just about any book on tape.  It keeps you distracted and entertained just enough to get through the long runs and if the book is good, it might even make you want to run again to find out what happened next!
The one thing that I really neglected during my training was eating and drinking.  On a couple of the long runs, we each choked down one of those disgusting Clif Shots and shared 1 water bottle, but besides that, we didn't eat or drink anything.  And I really can't remember what I ate before we ran...mostly peanut butter on a spoon I think.  I've heard you're supposed to carbo load before a big endurance race, so maybe I'll try that.  Everyone usually eats a giant bowl of spaghetti the night before the race, I think I'll just have a loaf of bread and hope for the best!

Wish me luck!

BLUEBERRY BREAD
5 Tbsp. water
2/3 c. cottage cheese
2 Tbsp. butter
1 c. blueberries
3 Tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. salt
1 1/3 c. cornmeal (blue or yellow)
2 2/3 c. bread flour
2 1/2 tsp. yeast

1.  In the order listed, add each ingredient to your bread machine.  Cook according to manufacturers instructions on the white bread setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips