Monday, March 24, 2014

Fried Pickles

You know how your facebook feed seems to go through phases.  Like, at one point all your friends will be getting married; then, they get puppies; then, they have kids...and you get to see the whole process?
Well, I seem to be in the baby part of that timeline.  Everyone must think I want to know about their stomach's growth progress and their nicknames for their unborn children.  And before you say anything (Mom), I know that all I post about is Dingo and yes, I am a hypocrite and if I ever have kids, I'm sure I'll do all the things I'm annoyed by.

So anyway, as an apology for offending all of my facebook friends, here's some stereotypical pregnant woman cravings!  And even better, they're fried!  Still friends?  Great.

FRIED PICKLES
1/2 c. buttermilk
salt & pepper
16 oz. dill pickle slices
1/2 c. flour
1 1/2 c. cornmeal
1 tsp. Old Bay Seasoning
oil for frying

1.  In a shallow dish, combine buttermilk, salt and pepper.  Add pickles and spread out evenly.  Set aside.

2.  In a large plastic bag, combine flour, cornmeal and Old Bay.  Shake to combine.

3.  Heat oil to 365˚ for frying (or use a deep fryer).

4.  Add pickles to flour mixture a few at a time.  Seal bag and shake to thoroughly coat.  Drop into hot oil and cook both sides until golden brown.

5.  Remove pickles from oil onto a paper towel lined pan or plate to soak up excess oil.  Repeat until you've made all the pickles.

6 comments:

  1. one of our favorite pub appetizers. yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really what's not to like? Salty, fried, breaded...those all sound like good things to me!

      Delete
  2. What are you dipping the pickles in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the picture, I was dipping them in a combination of ranch dressing, ketchup and a little Old Bay sprinkled in...however, I'd actually recommend using mayo, ketchup and a little Old Bay - the ranch dressing was a little too tangy for a salty pickle.

      Delete
  3. These look yummy! What is the recipe for the dipping sauce?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nikki, there's not really a recipe :/ In the picture, I was dipping them in a ranch/ketchup/Old Bay mixture, but they're actually better with mayo/ketchup/Old Bay...Just mix them up to taste - sorry I didn't measure when I made the sauce! Let me know what you think!

      Delete

Blogging tips