Friday, March 28, 2014

Aunt Betsy's Apple Pie

A few years ago, my mom starting making family cookbooks.  She collected recipes mostly from my grandma and my aunts, maybe a couple from my cousins and sisters.  I must not have been asked to contribute, because none of the recipes have my name at the bottom of the page.
Even though I wasn't invited to the club, it's still one of my favorite cookbooks.  I know that every recipe in there will turn out the way it's supposed to and it will taste just like I remember it.  There are no surprises.  No letdowns or disappointments.

No matter how good a cookbook is, it will never be quite perfect like one that you make yourself.  I started making my own back when I was in middle school, slowly accumulating more and more tried-and-true recipes, and now when I need something for dinner or to bring to a friend's house, I will almost exclusively turn to one of these 2 books.
This apple pie recipe has no frills.  It's not particularly innovative.  That being said, it's exactly what you want in a classic apple pie.  Of course, so much depends on the quality and flavor of the apples so, like any apple pie, it's more of an art than a science - adjust the sugar and lemon juice to get the right balance of sweet to tart.

AUNT BETSY'S APPLE PIE
6-8 honeycrisp apples, peeled, cored and sliced thinly
3/4 c. sugar
2 Tbsp. flour
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
dash nutmeg
dash salt
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 pie crusts
2 Tbsp. butter
cinnamon & sugar for dusting the top

1.  Mix together apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and lemon juice.

2.  Pour apples into a prepared pie crust.  Dot with butter all over the top of the apples, then cover with second pie crust.  Cut vent holes.  Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.

3.  Bake at 400˚ for 50 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips