Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Beef and Rice Casserole

After spending a long weekend out of town, eating out (mostly hamburgers), when we got home Sunday night, I was ready for some "real food."  My body can only take so much grease and then it really starts to crave something that's not cooked on a grill or in a fryer.
It makes me wonder how people eat out every day.  It really makes me wonder how people eat fast food so often.

I'm not trying to claim that this casserole is super healthy, just that it's got some nutrients and that it tastes better than a Beef 'N Cheddar.  I pretty much love anything that has water chestnuts in it.  They are so perfectly crunchy and they don't have a lot of flavor, so there's really not much to dislike.  Add in some hamburger, rice and seasonings and you've got an easy dinner.

BEEF & RICE CASSEROLE
1 - 6 oz. package long grain and wild rice mix
1/2 c. celery, chopped
1/2 c. onion, chopped
1 - 8 oz. can water chestnuts, sliced & drained
1/2 c. mushrooms, chopped
4 Tbsp. butter, melted
3 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 lb. ground beef, cooked and drained

1.  Cook rice according to package instructions.

2.  Mix all ingredients together in a 2 quart casserole dish.

3.  Bake at 350˚ for 40-45 minutes.

6 comments:

  1. This sounds pretty yummy right now. I haven't had it in forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't either - it was just as good as I remembered it though.

      Delete
  2. It's seems so delicious. I think I will prepare it for me and my family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful recipe! I made it for friends last night and we all loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad they all liked it! You're braver than me, trying out a brand new recipe on company :)

      Delete

Blogging tips